Vaccine rollout in the UK

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
monkey
After Pie

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by monkey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:34 pm

I'm feeling better too! Almost back to normal, except for the arm.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:44 pm

monkey wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:34 pm
Mate, I'm umming and ahhing about whether I should go back to bed. It's not pain, it's just general achey malaise and an inbaility to think straight.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:02 pm

nezumi wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:44 pm
monkey wrote:
Mate, I'm umming and ahhing about whether I should go back to bed. It's not pain, it's just general achey malaise and an inbaility to think straight.
Sorry, cos you mentioned work I thought you were better than that. Hope you're better soon, and you don't think I'm gloating!

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:12 pm

monkey wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:02 pm
nezumi wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:44 pm
monkey wrote:
Sorry, cos you mentioned work I thought you were better than that. Hope you're better soon, and you don't think I'm gloating!
Not bad enough to not work, not good enough to perform up to standard. I've just had lunch (spinach, feta, chorizo, kalamatas, cucumber and red pepper - vitamin heaven amiright?! :lol: ) and I think bed is calling. Thank goodness I'm only part time!
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:34 pm

Got a text today and am booked for tomorrow afternoon.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

gosling
Stargoon

Post by gosling » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:01 pm

Mrs Gos (council adult social care OT) had hers a couple of weeks ago. She and most of the others in her team reported flu-like symptoms for a day or so afterwards. They all had the Oxford/AZ one.

My 74-year-old mum had Pfizer at the end of last week - sore arm that day, but only a bit stiff the day after.

I'm in the Novavax trial - most of us are convinced we had the placebo as there were so few reported side effects. Hope that one gets approved soon.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:23 pm

gosling wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:01 pm
Mrs Gos (council adult social care OT) had hers a couple of weeks ago. She and most of the others in her team reported flu-like symptoms for a day or so afterwards. They all had the Oxford/AZ one.

My 74-year-old mum had Pfizer at the end of last week - sore arm that day, but only a bit stiff the day after.

I'm in the Novavax trial - most of us are convinced we had the placebo as there were so few reported side effects. Hope that one gets approved soon.
I guess they’re not doing emergency use authorisations any more, which the Pfizer and AZ ones were, I think?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:56 am

gosling wrote:
I was wondering -- presumably you get told at some point so that you know whether you still need a real dose?

gosling
Stargoon

Post by gosling » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:09 am

Sciolus wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:56 am
gosling wrote:
I was wondering -- presumably you get told at some point so that you know whether you still need a real dose?
The trial's supposed to last 12 months. So, for me, that means I'll be told in November. At my last check up visit, they gave us a letter asking people to stay in the trial if possible. For people who are more vulnerable who want to take up one of the approved vaccines, they will take them out of the trial and let them know whether they had the placebo or not.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:23 am

My friend was in the Oxford trial and had to wait quite a bit before it was unblinded...but once it was done but before the unblinding it was basically up to her whether to get a jab or not (she works in health and social care), but they recommended not to for Reasons.

I mean I guess if you're eligible for a jab you're eligible, they can't actually stop you!
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:51 am

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -vaccinate
London doctors say they are running out of priority patients to vaccinate
Frustrated medics say they fear lives will be lost unless they can immunise outside of the four priority cohorts
Which is weird because there are lots of people on here outside of those four priority groups who either had their first dose, or know someone who has.

Are they just being too rules focussed and not using their initiative to start on the other cohorts?

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:32 pm

discovolante wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:23 am
My friend was in the Oxford trial and had to wait quite a bit before it was unblinded...but once it was done but before the unblinding it was basically up to her whether to get a jab or not (she works in health and social care), but they recommended not to for Reasons.

I mean I guess if you're eligible for a jab you're eligible, they can't actually stop you!
I volunteered, and when called up about three weeks ago the doctor I saw advised me not to proceed as I was close to being called up for a rollout jab (I'm 65, and sure enough just been vaccinated). He said if I received a trial vaccine, they couldn't say whether getting a rollout jab after would be ok then, or in a months time

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:39 pm

headshot wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:51 am
Frustrated medics say they fear lives will be lost unless they can immunise outside of the four priority cohorts
Which is weird because there are lots of people on here outside of those four priority groups who either had their first dose, or know someone who has.

Are they just being too rules focussed and not using their initiative to start on the other cohorts?
Does seem odd. I'm in group 6, for example and I had the first dose yesterday. I suspect doctors in my area are ignoring centralised blather as much as possible. I hope they continue trying to contact folks in the top 4 priority groups though.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:53 pm

JQH wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:39 pm
headshot wrote:

Does seem odd. I'm in group 6, for example and I had the first dose yesterday. I suspect doctors in my area are ignoring centralised blather as much as possible. I hope they continue trying to contact folks in the top 4 priority groups though.
I'm in group 8 and received mine today. I'm in West London, so I'm guessing they must have run out of vulnerable folks to vaccinate and just got on with using up supplies. I honestly didn't expect to get done until May or June.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:06 pm

They must have you down as a 6, surely. At risk. They can only just have started 5 and 6. Or was it a last minute call up?
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:18 pm

headshot wrote:

There's been a bit of tension between NHS England and GP surgeries over the rules at times: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... of-england
...a standoff between a GP network in Sussex which received 1,000 more Pfizer doses than expected last Thursday, double the number it planned to administer.

The practice manager told the Guardian they tried to refuse the delivery, saying they didn’t have enough staff or eligible patients to use up the doses. They offered to transfer the surplus to a neighbouring clinic but were told by NHS England they couldn’t. Only when the manager threatened to bin all of the medicine did NHS England back down and allow the transfer to take place.
Dr Gavin Shields, a GP at Allesley Park Medical Centre and vice-chair of the Coventry local medical committee, said his primary care network had hundreds of unused vaccine doses, having vaccinated all top four cohorts.

“We’ve got vaccines now that we can’t use, because we can’t go outside the cohorts and start inviting under-70s yet, and there’s still an inequity about coverage across the area, and across the country,” he said.
This guidance https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/ ... on-ser.pdf allows transfer of vaccines to other sites but they're pretty strict about this being a last resort and the specific circumstances in which it's allowed. I assume that prior to 22 Jan it was just forbidden altogether, which is what led to the Sussex row.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:34 pm

In Texas, a doctor was fired and charged with theft because he had spare vaccine doses and, having spent hours trying to find suitable recipients, gave the last dose to his (clinically vulnerable) wife.

I don't know what the DA was thinking.

Fortunately, the judge threw out the case. But he's still lost his job.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/10/us/h ... ccine.html
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:51 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:06 pm
They must have you down as a 6, surely. At risk. They can only just have started 5 and 6. Or was it a last minute call up?
Last minute, I had a text yesterday saying they had free slots today and tomorrow.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:59 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:34 pm
In Texas, a doctor was fired and charged with theft because he had spare vaccine doses and, having spent hours trying to find suitable recipients, gave the last dose to his (clinically vulnerable) wife.

The guidance here makes sure to point out that the vaccines "remain the property of" NHS England and it's all MUST and MUST NOT rather than should and should not. I think I'd be a bit cautious about ignoring the rules if it was me that was running a GP practice.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:14 pm

jdc wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:59 pm
Gfamily wrote:

The guidance here makes sure to point out that the vaccines "remain the property of" NHS England and it's all MUST and MUST NOT rather than should and should not. I think I'd be a bit cautious about ignoring the rules if it was me that was running a GP practice.
For those who haven't read the NYTtimes article, the Texas doctor was at a vaccination centre that was near the end of the day when an eligible patient turned up, which required the opening of a fresh 10/11 capacity vial.
The vial thus had 9 or 10 doses available that would have to be used in the next few hours or disposed of.
The Doctor spent hours trying to find recipients for the available doses, travelling to deliver them where the recipients didn't have transport.
In the last few minutes, with 3 patients confirmed for the last 3 doses, one of them called to say they wouldn't be able to make it. so the GP gave the last dose to his wife rather than let it go to waste.

A co-worker reported him.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:14 pm

jdc wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:18 pm
There's been a bit of tension between NHS England and GP surgeries over the rules at times: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... of-england
Dr Gavin Shields, a GP at Allesley Park Medical Centre and vice-chair of the Coventry local medical committee, said his primary care network had hundreds of unused vaccine doses, having vaccinated all top four cohorts.

“We’ve got vaccines now that we can’t use, because we can’t go outside the cohorts and start inviting under-70s yet, and there’s still an inequity about coverage across the area, and across the country,” he said.
That's the PCT where my BiL is. He's group 6, got his first jab on Monday, so looks like they've sorted that out now. (The article was only 2 weeks ago, but it's obviously a rapidly moving situation.)

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:09 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:14 pm
jdc wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:59 pm
Gfamily wrote:

For those who haven't read the NYTtimes article, the Texas doctor was at a vaccination centre that was near the end of the day when an eligible patient turned up, which required the opening of a fresh 10/11 capacity vial.
The vial thus had 9 or 10 doses available that would have to be used in the next few hours or disposed of.
The Doctor spent hours trying to find recipients for the available doses, travelling to deliver them where the recipients didn't have transport.
In the last few minutes, with 3 patients confirmed for the last 3 doses, one of them called to say they wouldn't be able to make it. so the GP gave the last dose to his wife rather than let it go to waste.

A co-worker reported him.
Whereas over here there are reports of vaccination staff wandering into the nearest supermarket and asking for their 5 oldest staff in a bid to use up the last 5 doses and no-one bats an eyelid. My colleague got his done before Christmas on that basis - he’s over 65 but not otherwise vulnerable.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:41 pm

JQH wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:39 pm
headshot wrote:

And, thinking about it - why not invite back people in the top 4 cohorts who had their first dose more than 21 days ago.

Fintan O'Toole

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:39 am

That's a totally sensible idea, but unfortunately it doesn't contribute to the headline count of people vaccinated.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:18 am

They could run two counts - the current one plus one of people who have had both doses. Admittedly the second number will be depressingly small at the moment.

Fintan O'Toole