Has anyone had the vaccine yet?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
JQH
After Pie

Re: Has anyone had the vaccine yet?

Post by JQH » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:48 pm

Had my first dose earlier. Al very efficient as you'd expect of something run by professionals rather than a mate of a cabinet minister. If track and trace had been run by public health professionals perhaps we'd be on top of the epidemic by now.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:28 pm

I'm getting my first dose tomorrow. Yay! No idea which one.

Nickynockynoonoo
Stargoon

Post by Nickynockynoonoo » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:07 pm

We're getting ours on Sunday, 10 mins apart. Took a bit of backwards and forwards on the apps. as the apps were going fast.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:52 pm

bjn wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:28 pm
I'm getting my first dose tomorrow. Yay! No idea which one.
We had AstraVenica. Fruity, with floral top notes and a hint of tannin

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:10 pm

Meanwhile Breaking News from the Ian Stannert:-

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/pet- ... 19492.html

Along with about 20% of the rest of the UKs population.

More on this rapidly changing story as it develops ...
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:20 pm

JQH wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:48 pm
Had my first dose earlier. Al very efficient as you'd expect of something run by professionals rather than a mate of a cabinet minister. If track and trace had been run by public health professionals perhaps we'd be on top of the epidemic by now.
There’s a certain irony that the Vaccination Program is being hailed in the Press as Johnson’s saving grace (and yah-boo YURP!) when it was the one part of the pandemic response he had probably had the least involvement in.

They even are saying the successful roll out of vaccinations may ultimately cause people to forget the omnishambles from Day 1 of the rest of the government’s response particularly, you know, the stuff they were intimately involved in.

Forget the late lockdown, 100k+ dead, the billions vanished into non-existent PPE, our world-beating track-and-trace, the £100bn moonshot that never even got out the hanger, the imploding economy, eat out to help COVID out, the one day long Spring Term, the Barnard Castle eyetest and all the rest.

Hey the monkey chucked enough darts that one hit the bull so all is marvellous again.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:32 pm

I've been Pfizered. The first thing the doctor said was 'You're really tall'. Normally anyone who says that gets a mouthful but in the circumstances I forebore. Sigh.

It was really well run with lots of volunteers who were very cheery despite it being very chilly in the vaccination centre. We queued up outside and volunteers rearranged the queue according to appointment times. Then a quick registration at reception and into the main hall where we had to fill in a form. About five minutes later I was getting the vaccine, bang on the appointment time. Then into the holding bay for 15 minutes to make sure none of us exploded or anything. No side effects so far.

Can we discuss vaccine delivery elsewhere and keep this for people's own experiences?

Lydia Gwilt
Stargoon

Post by Lydia Gwilt » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:17 pm

Because [reasons] we have had both doses (Pfizer). Slight arm soreness after first dose; 3 weeks later, 2nd dose side effects were 2-day fever and fatigue for one and a 1-day headache for the other. Completely within predicted range and paracetamol sorted most of that.

Phone has conked out though which might be due to Bill Gates's 5G chip or maybe because the phone needs topping up.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:14 pm

I have moved the discussion on whether to move the thread over to Admin and mod bating, as that's the appropriate place for discussions on how Scrutable is organized.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2186&p=70046

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:59 pm

The side-effects have lifted, so much so that I actually feel fantastic. I've been keying orders at twice the target rate, I've made a bunch of resin stuff and baked a cake. I will be doing washing up shortly. Maybe they cured me of something at the same time, I dunno, but yay!

Edit to add: total side-effect time was 36 hours, nothing serious.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:20 pm

nezumi wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:59 pm
The side-effects have lifted, so much so that I actually feel fantastic. I've been keying orders at twice the target rate, I've made a bunch of resin stuff and baked a cake. I will be doing washing up shortly. Maybe they cured me of something at the same time, I dunno, but yay!

Edit to add: total side-effect time was 36 hours, nothing serious.
I had the jab just after 11 and am starting to feel a bit achy and a bit crap, injection site is now sore where as well.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:14 am

Lydia Gwilt wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:17 pm
Because [reasons] we have had both doses (Pfizer). Slight arm soreness after first dose; 3 weeks later, 2nd dose side effects were 2-day fever and fatigue for one and a 1-day headache for the other. Completely within predicted range and paracetamol sorted most of that.

Phone has conked out though which might be due to Bill Gates's 5G chip or maybe because the phone needs topping up.
A friend of mine (50 ish marathon runner) said he had a rough couple of days after the second Pfizer dose. Is the response related to how efficient your immune system is?

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:42 pm

OH has finally been jabbed. From what I've seen posted on social media, he was about the last shielder standing when it came to being offered an appointment. A weight off my mind, as he now has at least 3 weeks to build immunity, if Miniocrity happens to be back at school on 8th March.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:47 pm

mediocrity511 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:42 pm
OH has finally been jabbed. From what I've seen posted on social media, he was about the last shielder standing when it came to being offered an appointment. A weight off my mind, as he now has at least 3 weeks to build immunity, if Miniocrity happens to be back at school on 8th March.
That's a huge relief medi!

My mum has her first tonight. She's off to Ashton Gate for it, which will be interesting. Everyone else I know locally who've had theirs has been through the GP surgeries.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:41 pm

Mrs V was talking about jabs this morning as she was reading an article in the paper and as she's in the next vulnerable category (heart disease, reduced immunity etc) when lo and behold our GP practice phoned and she's booked in tomorrow at the Derby Arena!

I'm not yet.

Lydia Gwilt
Stargoon

Post by Lydia Gwilt » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:45 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:14 am
Lydia Gwilt wrote:

A friend of mine (50 ish marathon runner) said he had a rough couple of days after the second Pfizer dose. Is the response related to how efficient your immune system is?
Possibly, although marathon runners have notoriously poor immune responses.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:45 pm

Lydia Gwilt wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:45 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Lydia Gwilt wrote:

There's a very long review article here: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00648/full that argues otherwise.

Their longish summary of the article: Spoiler:

Marathons and ultramarathons not specifically mentioned in that summary but are discussed in the article. They refer to studies finding that IgA secretion decreased after marathons or 2h rowing sessions - and point out that "contradictory findings are also in abundance but are much less cited in the literature".

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:03 am

So, Mrs V booked in for 10am at Derby Arena. Lots of people and cars in the car park, all the staff very jolly despite the freezing conditions. Dropped her off at 9.49am and she got back in the car at 10.05am. AZ vaccine and a second jab date.

So glad they got a private company to do it instead of the farce I had to go to when I went for a test. Oh, hang on..

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:59 pm

veravista wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:03 am
So, Mrs V booked in for 10am at Derby Arena. Lots of people and cars in the car park, all the staff very jolly despite the freezing conditions. Dropped her off at 9.49am and she got back in the car at 10.05am. AZ vaccine and a second jab date.

So glad they got a private company to do it instead of the farce I had to go to when I went for a test. Oh, hang on..
Aren't you supposed to wait 15 minutes to see if you have a reaction?
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:11 pm

Martin_B wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:59 pm
veravista wrote:

She was gone for 16 minutes.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:20 pm

Apparently not. She seems to be OK at the moment too. A few neighbours (mostly with blood pressure problems it seems) have had short term reactions, feeling sick, bit achy but never for longer than a day and not serious.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:06 pm

They just told me to sit in my car and gave me a number to ring if I had a problem. Not an issue, I'd have enough time to walk back round anyway before anaphylaxis took me as I'm otherwise fit and healthy. I don't think 15 minutes in house wait is necessary for the younger, fitter cohorts, an absolute must for the elderly and less mobile, and avoiding overcrowding in waiting areas is also crucial. I think sending the lower risk for anaphylaxis groups and the more able outside to wait is perfectly appropriate and the best balance of needs.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:24 pm

jdc wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:45 pm
Lydia Gwilt wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:45 pm
Tessa K wrote:

There's a very long review article here: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00648/full that argues otherwise.

Their longish summary of the article: Spoiler:

Marathons and ultramarathons not specifically mentioned in that summary but are discussed in the article. They refer to studies finding that IgA secretion decreased after marathons or 2h rowing sessions - and point out that "contradictory findings are also in abundance but are much less cited in the literature".
That was pretty interesting.

Happy VD, jdc.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:49 pm

Martin_B wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:59 pm
veravista wrote:

I had to. They stuck a label on me with the time of the jab and then put me in a holding pen/potential head exploding area for 15 minutes. And they were checking your label before you could go. (No, I'm not really old or vulnerable)

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:02 pm

nezumi wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:06 pm
They just told me to sit in my car and gave me a number to ring if I had a problem. Not an issue, I'd have enough time to walk back round anyway before anaphylaxis took me as I'm otherwise fit and healthy. I don't think 15 minutes in house wait is necessary for the younger, fitter cohorts, an absolute must for the elderly and less mobile, and avoiding overcrowding in waiting areas is also crucial. I think sending the lower risk for anaphylaxis groups and the more able outside to wait is perfectly appropriate and the best balance of needs.
Mine was at the local health centre, where they turned the large waiting room area into a vaccination assembly line. They'd set up a bunch of room divider thingies to make about 20 cubicles, each with a chair in it. You sat down, had a quick chat to a doc, got jabbed and sat for a bit then they told you to bog off after 15 minutes or so. They had a big sign saying "If you feel unwell call out 'HELP!'". I heard no such shouts. They seemed to working at a pace of around vaccination 1 per minute while I was there, with a fairly rapidly moving short queue outside the building.