jdc
Hilda Ogden

Re: The future of the US Republican party

Post by jdc » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:10 pm

jdc wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:03 pm
bjn wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:53 pm
Well the Republicans really don't like democracy and are now quite open about it. They want the Arizona state legislature to be able to override the result of an election.
NBCNews wrote:The Republican chair of Arizona's state House Ways and Means Committee introduced a bill Wednesday that would give the Legislature authority to override the secretary of state’s certification of its electoral votes.

GOP Rep. Shawnna Bolick introduced the bill, which rewrites parts of the state's election law, such as sections on election observers and securing and auditing ballots, among other measures.

One section grants the Legislature, which is currently under GOP control, the ability to revoke the secretary of state's certification "by majority vote at any time before the presidential inauguration."
Excitingly, it seems you can track bills on Azleg. HB2720, if you want to keep an eye on this one.
Just saw this claim:
The section of Rep Bolick's bill, HB2720, that includes verbiage about the SOS elector's certificate is getting ZERO traction. What IS getting traction are the Voter Suppression actions packed in there. Voter suppression...that's the real fight.
https://twitter.com/PamelaEdwards/statu ... 2045341705

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:55 pm

jdc wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:10 pm
jdc wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:03 pm
bjn wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:53 pm
Well the Republicans really don't like democracy and are now quite open about it. They want the Arizona state legislature to be able to override the result of an election.

Excitingly, it seems you can track bills on Azleg. HB2720, if you want to keep an eye on this one.
Just saw this claim:
The section of Rep Bolick's bill, HB2720, that includes verbiage about the SOS elector's certificate is getting ZERO traction. What IS getting traction are the Voter Suppression actions packed in there. Voter suppression...that's the real fight.
If the voters don't pick you, pick your voters instead.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:51 pm

jdc wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:10 pm
Just saw this claim:
Earth calling the Nominative Determinism thread...
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:40 am

An exclusive Suffolk University/USA TODAY Poll finds Trump's support largely unshaken after his second impeachment trial in the Senate, this time on a charge of inciting an insurrection in the deadly assault on the Capitol Jan. 6.

By double digits, 46%-27%, those surveyed say they would abandon the GOP and join the Trump party if the former president decided to create one. The rest are undecided.

Half of those polled say the GOP should become "more loyal to Trump," even at the cost of losing support among establishment Republicans. One in five, 19%, say the party should become less loyal to Trump and more aligned with establishment Republicans.

The survey of 1,000 Trump voters, identified from 2020 polls, was taken by landline and cellphone last Monday through Friday. The margin of error is plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

They express stronger loyalty to Trump the person (54%) than they did to the Republican Party that twice nominated him for the White House (34%).

[...]

Trump voters are prepared to punish those who crossed him. Eight in 10 say they would be less likely to vote for a Republican candidate who supported Trump's impeachment, as 10 representatives did in the House. An equal portion, 80%, say the seven Republican senators who voted to convict Trump were motivated by political calculations, not their consciences.

[...]

Only 4% say the impeachment trial made them less supportive of Trump; 42% say it made them more supportive. Fifty-four percent say it didn't affect their support.

[...]

Most Trump voters embrace a version of events on Jan. 6 that has been debunked by independent fact checkers and law enforcement agencies.

Asked to describe what happened during the assault on the Capitol, 58% of Trump voters call it "mostly an antifa-inspired attack that only involved a few Trump supporters." That's more than double the 28% who call it "a rally of Trump supporters, some of whom attacked the Capitol." Four percent call it "an attempted coup inspired by President Trump."

Law enforcement investigations found no evidence of a role by antifa, a loose alliance of leftist, anti-fascist groups that have staged demonstrations in some cities, particularly on the West Coast. Most of those arrested in the assault Jan. 6 identified themselves as Trump supporters.

[...]

In the poll, more than nine of 10 Trump voters say the former president isn't guilty of inciting an insurrection. Almost 8 in 10 say the crowd would have stormed the Capitol even if Trump hadn't urged them to "fight like hell" at a rally outside the White House that day.

Calling Trump responsible for the attack is "insane," protests Jane Wiles, 76, a retired insurance manager from Treasure Island, Florida. "Was he there? No. Unless he was there leading the pack, he is not responsible."

By 2-1, 59%-29%, Trump voters say they want him to run for president again in 2024. If he ran, three of four, 76%, would support him for the nomination; 85% would vote for him in a general election.

[...]

Trump voters aren't ready to acknowledge Joe Biden as president despite his margin of victory of 7 million votes nationwide.

Three of four, 73%, say Biden wasn't legitimately elected. Most don't want their representatives to cooperate with him, even if that means gridlock in Washington.

Six in 10, 62%, say congressional Republicans "should do their best to stand up to Biden on major policies, even if it means little gets passed." That's more than double the 26% who say congressional Republicans "should do their best to work with Biden on major policies, even if it means making compromises."

[...]

There are disquieting findings in the poll for Fox News, which has prospered as the dominant news source for conservatives. In a USA TODAY/Suffolk Poll in October 2016, 58% of Trump voters said Fox was their most trusted source of news. In the new poll, that drops to 34%.

Trust has risen in two relatively new outlets that have made their reputations by championing Trump. Newsmax is the most trusted among 17% of Trump voters, followed by 9% for One American News Network, or OANN.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 765406002/

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 am

well, that bodes well.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:05 pm

If "Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad" holds true I feel the gods of US politics are working hard at present taking sense away from the Trumpists.

I hope for utmost destruction.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:36 pm

bmforre wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:05 pm
If "Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad" holds true I feel the gods of US politics are working hard at present taking sense away from the Trumpists.

I hope for utmost destruction.
So long as no-one else gets hurt, but I doubt that will happen.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:42 am

Donald Trump to be inaugurated President of the United States on March 4

Is the latest prediction doing the rounds at Qanon. People have been booking out the Trump International Hotel in anticipation.
Here grows much rhubarb.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:38 am

Chris Preston wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:42 am

Is the latest prediction doing the rounds at Qanon. People have been booking out the Trump International Hotel in anticipation.
And the hotel has been hiking up the price because of course it has.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:18 pm

It'd be a shame if they got angry and burnt it down. Except that the US government owns the building.

warumich
Fuzzable

Post by warumich » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:42 pm

How fascinating, this is turning into a classic case study of failed prophecy (Festinger, Riecken and Schachter 1956).
I've never had a signature, and it never did me any harm

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:52 pm

warumich wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:42 pm
How fascinating, this is turning into a classic case study of failed prophecy (Festinger, Riecken and Schachter 1956).
Please let it turn into a cargo cult. I'd love to see them trying to build things to bring about the return of Trump...

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:57 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:52 pm
warumich wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:42 pm
Please let it turn into a cargo cult. I'd love to see them trying to build things to bring about the return of Trump...
I'd like them trying to reverse time by pushing and dragging The Donald through a Wormhole.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:27 pm

Meanwhile MTG stays classy.

Also The Science would like a word.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:37 pm

Chris Preston wrote:

I think the big question here is will we be absolutely certain it is actually Trump who becomes President and not Biden-in-Trump's body following the mind-swap? :shock:

I think it is vital that senior Republicans very publicly and very expensively begin investigating this very real concern of All True Patriots to properly underline how important it is they stay in power come 2022.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:41 pm

How many true patriots staying at trump international will get arrested by the fbi?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:56 pm

Grumble wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:41 pm
How many true patriots staying at trump international will get arrested by the fbi?
Just lock the doors, guard the entrances and call it a prison.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:23 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:37 pm
Chris Preston wrote:

I think the big question here is will we be absolutely certain it is actually Trump who becomes President and not Biden-in-Trump's body following the mind-swap? :shock:

I think it is vital that senior Republicans very publicly and very expensively begin investigating this very real concern of All True Patriots to properly underline how important it is they stay in power come 2022.
Have you seen the Air Force One conspiracy theories?

Or the fake Oval Office ones?
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:23 pm

It's all about the snow in Texas being fake snow now, with people trying to burn it.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:29 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:37 pm
Chris Preston wrote:

Mike Adams is going with Joe Biden not being real at all and is going to be replaced soon. Mike does not say what he thinks Biden will be replaced with, but it could be a toaster.
Here grows much rhubarb.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:34 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:23 pm
It's all about the snow in Texas being fake snow now, with people trying to burn it.
Flake news!

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:56 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:23 pm
Sort of - it's people watching a YouTube of someone 'trying' to melt snowballs using lighters and seeing
- it doesn't melt *
- it chars**

* any meltwater gets sucked into the snowball by capillary action
** the lighter gas doesn't burn completely because of the cold, so leaves a carbon 'soot' on the surface of the snowball.

People think that there is something that obviously 'should' happen, and when it doesn't, an alternative explanation can seem plausible.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:19 am

Except they have move on from alternative explanations to it all being Bill Gates' fault.
Here grows much rhubarb.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:38 am

Chris Preston wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:19 am
Except they have move on from alternative explanations to it all being Bill Gates' fault.
My 'conspiracy theory' is that it is very likely that there are agents (whether state or non state) who are promoting things this along with other completely nonsensical ideas, such as the Apollo hoax and flat Earthism. They do this because it acts to diminish trust in authority and weakens the cohesion of target states.

I get the feeling its going well for them.
Meta? I'd say so!

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:06 am

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:38 am
Chris Preston wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:19 am
My 'conspiracy theory' is that it is very likely that there are agents (whether state or non state) who are promoting things this along with other completely nonsensical ideas, such as the Apollo hoax and flat Earthism. They do this because it acts to diminish trust in authority and weakens the cohesion of target states.

I get the feeling its going well for them.
It's funny where these things come from. Apparently the illuminati conspiracy theory was invented by anti-authoritarian hippy types like Kerry Thornley who wanted to diminish trust in authority, shake things up a bit and make people think about what they were being led to believe.

UFOs being alien craft otoh was the establishment trying to throw someone off the scent when they'd seen some fancy new tech that the government would rather have kept secret for a bit longer.

Diminishing trust in authority and weakening other states sounds like a Putin/Surkov kinda thing to do. Not sure to what extent (if at all) they make use of the old conspiracy theories though.