Malaria Vaccine!

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
bjn
Stummy Beige

Malaria Vaccine!

Post by bjn » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:33 am

Looks like there is a route to an effective Malaria vaccine, thanks to all the RNA new vaccine technologies. If it works in clinical trials, this would be huge, as in small-pox vaccine huge.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Malaria Vaccine!

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:38 am

Awesome! Assuming the human trials go well this is potentially a game-changer.

Obviously the other issue is pricing. Covid has set a nice precedent of offering jabs at cost price. I'd much prefer to see this vaccine benefiting sub-Saharan Africa and other areas where malaria is endemic, than be restricted to wealthy elites and foreign tourists.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:53 am

Does malaria require humans in its life cycle? If so we could eradicate it.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:53 am

Thanks, that's interesting, I knew nothing about Malaria and PMIF.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:22 pm

Grumble wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:53 am
Does malaria require humans in its life cycle? If so we could eradicate it.
So, there are a whole bunch of malaria pathogens, which do tend to be fairly host-specific. The ones that infect humans can also infect non-human primates. There's not much research on this, but - as we've seen with the coronavirus pandemic - the big risks of host-switching come from the combination of fragmented natural habitats and close human-wildlife contact. e.g. https://malariajournal.biomedcentral.co ... 019-2910-z (Note that this study is outside the natural range of Plasmodium falcipes and reflects transmission from humans to primates. The authors speculate that transmission between primates is likely to continue, forming a reservoir)

There are also approaches aiming to eradicate the specific mosquito species that transmit malaria to humans via genetic engineering, eg RIDL where mosquitoes carrying a dominant lethal allele are released into the environment to breed with the natural population, creating inviable offspring. Early stages still because people are highly cautious about releasing mUtAnT mOsQuItOeS into the environment but could be useful in combination with vaccination. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic ... ied_insect has some info, struggling to find a decent article.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:04 pm

Article linked to by bjn wrote: In 2019 alone, there were an estimated 229 million cases of malaria and 409,000 deaths worldwide.
Cue COVID deniers saying "So 99.8% survive? Hardly worth bothering about then, is it?" (A lot of these c.nts are also not exactly devastated by the news that like malaria, COVID disproportionately affects non-white people.)
Something something hammer something something nail

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:40 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:04 pm
Article linked to by bjn wrote: In 2019 alone, there were an estimated 229 million cases of malaria and 409,000 deaths worldwide.
Cue COVID deniers saying "So 99.8% survive? Hardly worth bothering about then, is it?" (A lot of these c.nts are also not exactly devastated by the news that like malaria, COVID disproportionately affects non-white people.)
A colleague of mine is half Nigerian and goes to Nigeria fairly often. He’s had malaria quite a few times, which I didn’t know was a thing, but it’s almost like the flu or something. Very unpleasant.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:18 am

Grumble wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:40 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
A colleague of mine is half Nigerian and goes to Nigeria fairly often. He’s had malaria quite a few times, which I didn’t know was a thing, but it’s almost like the flu or something. Very unpleasant.
IIRC, malaria can lay dormant in you for a while and then re-emerge. And while it has flu-like symptoms it can also do long-term damage to the liver and kidneys.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:07 am

Martin_B wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:18 am
Grumble wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:40 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:

IIRC, malaria can lay dormant in you for a while and then re-emerge. And while it has flu-like symptoms it can also do long-term damage to the liver and kidneys.
He says he’s been reinfected each time he’s had it, which would make some sense given the reasons vaccines haven’t worked before.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:14 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:38 am
Awesome! Assuming the human trials go well this is potentially a game-changer.

Obviously the other issue is pricing. Covid has set a nice precedent of offering jabs at cost price. I'd much prefer to see this vaccine benefiting sub-Saharan Africa and other areas where malaria is endemic, than be restricted to wealthy elites and foreign tourists.
It was something that Bill Gates has been funded for years, (IIRC for that reason, and because of the low profits to be made from it, which had limited research into it ).
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation