Evangelicals and penis enlargement

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Evangelicals and penis enlargement

Post by sTeamTraen » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Samuel Perry and Andrew Whitehead are two academics who don't like the hypocrisy of evangelical Christians. (I don't think many people here would want to argue with them about that.) They wrote a book about it.

However, they have somewhat jumped the shark with a new study in which they claim—or, rather, they don't quite claim; they maintain a fig-leaf of plausible deniability, but it's clear from the glee in this Twitter thread what they want readers of the paper to think—that male evangelical Christians are obsessed with having a bigger penis.

However, their study (full-text is paywalled, and so new that it's not on Sci-Hub yet, sorry) does not have big dick energy. Rather, it is a load of bollocks.

They used massively unreliable and biased primary data (Google Trends), ignored any sort of exploration of why their main dependent variable (searches for penis enlargement) has declined substantially over 15 years (clue: When were we all getting penis-enlargement spam?), threw a bunch of arbitrarily-specified and poorly-measure covariates into their regressions to get the suppression effects going, reported the results of only 8 search terms when they very likely tested hundreds, and attempted to draw individual-level conclusions from aggregate data (the "ecological fallacy") while making a lame handwaving claim that they were not actually doing so:
The “moral communities” approach provides a helpful framework for understanding the trends we observe because it avoids the ecological inference fallacy, in which inferences about individuals are inappropriately drawn from observations of aggregate groups. The moral communities view posits that religion itself is a group-level phenomenon, and thus, the theoretical link between group-level religious characteristics and individual behavior does not require researchers to measure the thought processes or personalities of individual actors. Our claim is not about which individual-level behaviors produce a particular group-level outcome, but rather, that the evangelical context can explain some of the variation in aggregated individual-level behaviors (Google searches; see Stephens-Davidowitz 2014).
I expect this study to be used by progressive writers to point and laugh at evangelicals, right up to the point that someone demonstrates that it's total crap, at which point the "poor put-upon Christians" will be able to say, rightly, that they are the target of incompetent and politically-motivated scientists. Sigh.
Something something hammer something something nail

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Re: Evangelicals and penis enlargement

Post by Boustrophedon » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:34 pm

ClickBate title.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

JellyandJackson
Fuzzable

Post by JellyandJackson » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:45 am

Some evangelicals are obsessed with penises, specifically finding them a good home. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/peop ... 23429.html
A thousand strawberry lollies and the princess of Lichtenstein.

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:43 pm

From jimmy swaggart (prostitutes) to ted haggard (meth, gay prostitutes) to ken alford (widespread sexual abuse inc children) to john hagee (adultery, massive douchebaggery, trying to incite WW3)... They all need bigger dicks, because they have so very many ppl to screw. :roll:

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:22 pm

Surely to screw more people you need more dicks, rather than just one bigger one?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:11 pm

JellyandJackson wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:45 am
Some evangelicals are obsessed with penises, specifically finding them a good home. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/peop ... 23429.html
So far, without trying, I've found...
'pseudo name' instead of' pseudonym'
and apostrophe misuse: ''wives of pastor’s who have an affair..."

That truely is some independent journalism.
Board now.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:16 am

tenchboy wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:11 pm
JellyandJackson wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:45 am
So far, without trying, I've found...
'pseudo name' instead of' pseudonym'
and apostrophe misuse: ''wives of pastor’s who have an affair..."

That truely is some independent journalism.
Board now.
That is truly an egregious misuse of the apostrophe.

JellyandJackson
Fuzzable

Post by JellyandJackson » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:13 am

I missed all the grammar boo boos the first time round.
Driscoll is still awful though.
A thousand strawberry lollies and the princess of Lichtenstein.