Flagshagging

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Flagshagging

Post by Vertigowooyay » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:01 pm

It’s the new craze that’s sweeping the nation.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/ ... SApp_Other

Also, WHAT THE f.ck IS GOING ON? This is pure nationalistic excess, this isn’t patriotism, it’s culture war dog whistle sh.t.

Bollocks to flags. They’re nasty little scraps of material that divide, not unite.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Re: Flagshagging

Post by bjn » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:53 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:01 pm
It’s the new craze that’s sweeping the nation.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/ ... SApp_Other

Also, WHAT THE f.ck IS GOING ON? This is pure nationalistic excess, this isn’t patriotism, it’s culture war dog whistle sh.t.

Bollocks to flags. They’re nasty little scraps of material that divide, not unite.
Culture wars innit.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:31 pm

They saw how effective the poppies stuff was and needed a way to roll it out year-round.

As ever, non-engagement would be the best strategy, but as people can't do that any more everybody will be tweeting their outrage and counter-outrage while the Lizard People laugh from their luxury pandemic bunkers.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:13 am

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Yep. I’ve always said this. I particularly dislike regional flags in the UK. Another way to say “we’re better” that plays into division and exceptionalism.

I find the Black Country flag particularly egregious. Red, white and black and features chains that the area is famous for producing, but that also happen to have shackled slaves on the ships that imprisoned them. Any effort to educate the locals falls on deaf, or racist, ears. Even progressives here say it’s just a symbol of pride in the area’s history - they just can’t see how offensive it could be.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:10 am

headshot wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:13 am
Vertigowooyay wrote:
Yep. I’ve always said this. I particularly dislike regional flags in the UK. Another way to say “we’re better” that plays into division and exceptionalism.

I find the Black Country flag particularly egregious. Red, white and black and features chains that the area is famous for producing, but that also happen to have shackled slaves on the ships that imprisoned them. Any effort to educate the locals falls on deaf, or racist, ears. Even progressives here say it’s just a symbol of pride in the area’s history - they just can’t see how offensive it could be.

TBF if you showed me that flag without context I’d assume it was the flag of the “Evil Empire” faction from some piece of dystopian SF and the ones carrying it would be wearing a natty jackboot-and-mirrored-visor combo in shades of battleship grey.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:22 am

Little waster wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:10 am
headshot wrote:
Vertigowooyay wrote:

TBF if you showed me that flag without context I’d assume it was the flag of the “Evil Empire” faction from some piece of dystopian SF and the ones carrying it would be wearing a natty jackboot-and-mirrored-visor combo in shades of battleship grey.
With the red, black and white being reminiscent of the Nazi flag, I've just remembered about someone I know who opened up a shop. It was quite nicely and professionally decorated on the outside, including flags with a red background, inside which there is a white circle with a black symbol inside the circle. I've assumed it's just accidental.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:50 am

Maybe it just needs a motto. I suggest "Are we the baddies?".

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:06 am

Elsewhere, I think it was our opti, shared a photo of a National Front rally from the 70s - awash with union flags. That very much seems what we're returning to.

Back in the 80s, as a cub and scout I can remember each meeting involved saluting the flag as it was raised at the start and lowered at the end, but that was as much flag involvement there was - the NF/BNP association had sufficiently tarnished it.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:11 am

Brightonian wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:22 am
With the red, black and white being reminiscent of the Nazi flag, I've just remembered about someone I know who opened up a shop. It was quite nicely and professionally decorated on the outside, including flags with a red background, inside which there is a white circle with a black symbol inside the circle. I've assumed it's just accidental.
Black, red and white are the main colours for lots of motorsport teams. I don’t think Toyota are noted for links to Nazis, Porsche might be a bit more problematic.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:11 pm

Grumble wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:11 am
Brightonian wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:22 am
Black, red and white are the main colours for lots of motorsport teams. I don’t think Toyota are noted for links to Nazis, Porsche might be a bit more problematic.
It was more the arrangement of the colours on my acquaintance's shop than the colours themselves. So while this flag for the small Dutch village of Asperen looks perfectly innocent, flags that have a black symbol which is inside a white circle which is itself on a red background mostly seem to be Nazi-leaning ones.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:09 pm

Lovely thread by Adam Rutherford showing how utterly idiotic and transparent the whole flagshagging nonsense is.

https://twitter.com/AdamRutherford/stat ... 73668?s=20
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:03 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:09 pm
Lovely thread by Adam Rutherford showing how utterly idiotic and transparent the whole flagshagging nonsense is.

https://twitter.com/AdamRutherford/stat ... 73668?s=20
I've been meaning to share that but keep forgetting so thank you. It's a really great thread!
it's okay to say "I don't know"

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:07 pm

headshot wrote:
Vertigowooyay wrote:

It's offending my compulsive need for neat and tidy symmetry, is what it is. 3 colours for the background, two colours for the chain. It's all unbalanced.

The chain should be red-black-white. Or something.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:14 pm

The chain should be lobbed in the cut. (As they might say here, meaning ”thrown in the canal”)

Rosewind
Gray Pubic

Post by Rosewind » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:12 am

I’ve ordered a rainbow flag to match my Rainbow Pigeon of Hope which hangs on my wall...

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:24 am

Although I dissed the Black Country flag, I have to say I'm quite fond of the Northumberland one, not to the extent of actually ever having owned anything which displayed it or anything but still.

It is suitably inoffensive and I've been told is the oldest flag still in use. IIRC in the TV show The Vikings Northumbria used it which was a nice little Easter egg.

There is obviously no other reason to come to Northumberland so stay away I've saved you a trip. The sunshine on the flag has clearly been photoshopped, it was obviously originally taken against a murky background of horizontal sleet and bits of old boat coming off the iron-grey sea. The howling gale bit though is 100% accurate.

This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:34 am

Tyne and Wear's looks like it is a warning about the imminent danger of climate change (those clouds look familiar).

On a related note the old SAFC badge used to cause much hilarity among Newcastle fans known as it was as the "Sinky Boat" badge, a fine testament to the renowned quality of the Mackems ship-building ability. 8-)

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:31 pm

Little waster wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:24 am
Although I dissed the Black Country flag, I have to say I'm quite fond of the Northumberland one, not to the extent of actually ever having owned anything which displayed it or anything but still.

It is suitably inoffensive and I've been told is the oldest flag still in use. IIRC in the TV show The Vikings Northumbria used it which was a nice little Easter egg.

There is obviously no other reason to come to Northumberland so stay away I've saved you a trip. The sunshine on the flag has clearly been photoshopped, it was obviously originally taken against a murky background of horizontal sleet and bits of old boat coming off the iron-grey sea. The howling gale bit though is 100% accurate.

All I see is a blood stained mouth and some very bad dentistry.
Hardly an image that says 'come on in'.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:41 pm

Little waster wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:24 am

It's obviously meant as a warning of slippery and deteriorated road surfaces then.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:42 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:31 pm
1.jpg
1.jpg (64.01 KiB) Viewed 2029 times

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:44 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:31 pm

Hardly an image that says 'come on in'.
I have lived in Northumberland and this is 100% Accu-rat! Ashington after the only nightclub (Bubbles) closed on a night proved this!
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:39 pm

The only people who should be allowed to have flags behind them when they talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e8PGPrPlwA

This is the flag of Gloucestershire. The colours represent the River Severn, Cotswold stone and the Golden Valley, Stroud. Apparently.

and this from Somerset where the other half of my family is from

They're both pretty uninspiring. The dragon needs a blonde psychopath on its back for a start.

Nero
Clardic Fug

Post by Nero » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:18 pm

This is my county flag, or at least the county I’ve lived in for the last 20 years. Not entirely sure why the Bustard has a feather in its beak, maybe it’s trying to look like a fat Liver bird.

Wiltshire.png
Wiltshire.png (40.63 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
The Wiltshire Flag depicts a Great Bustard (Otis tarda) in gold on a solid green circle representing the open grassland. The border of the circle, in six sections alternating green and white, evokes the stone circles of Stonehenge and Avebury. The six portions also represent Wiltshire’s six surrounding counties: Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Hampshire, Dorset and Somerset.
And my village flag, designed by a local school child a few years ago, I quite like it.

UK-Pewsey.png
UK-Pewsey.png (60.57 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
The Pewsey Flag is a community flag proclaiming the unique identity of this Wiltshire village.The dark green hills represent our rural farming landscape upon which is charged the iconic Pewsey White Horse which stands over the village. The crown represents King Alfred who has a statue in the village centre and who once held land in Pewsey. The oak leaves represent the solidity of the village.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:37 pm

The flag of Como (along with lots of other cities) is this:

Whereas Milan has this:

(it's not the cross of St. George but rather Saint Ambrose)

Lombardy has this weirdness though:

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:46 pm

shpalman wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:37 pm

Lombardy has this weirdness though:

An early fidget spinner?