Flagshagging

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Flagshagging

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:01 pm

Here's the flag from my municipality:

Historically this was a small fishing village as you can probably tell. The traditional muleta fishing boat is pretty cool, apparently deriving from an Arabic design. Bunch of grapes because of all the vineyards.

In the 20th Century they should have updated this flag to include the enormous chemical industry, but they chose not to for some reason.

Portugal's one is pretty fiddly to draw with all those castles and things:
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:34 pm

Cheshire has a nice flag, you can try to come and get our wheat but we do have a sword.
C740ACDF-DF57-4ADC-86E0-CB4A8DE67C1C.png
C740ACDF-DF57-4ADC-86E0-CB4A8DE67C1C.png (193.01 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:37 pm

headshot wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:13 am
Vertigowooyay wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:01 pm
Bollocks to flags. They’re nasty little scraps of material that divide, not unite.
Yep. I’ve always said this. I particularly dislike regional flags in the UK. Another way to say “we’re better” that plays into division and exceptionalism.

I find the Black Country flag particularly egregious. Red, white and black and features chains that the area is famous for producing, but that also happen to have shackled slaves on the ships that imprisoned them. Any effort to educate the locals falls on deaf, or racist, ears. Even progressives here say it’s just a symbol of pride in the area’s history - they just can’t see how offensive it could be.

I think the Black Country flag is awesome. I'm surprised its offensive to anyone. The colours and images are symbolic to its industrial past, reading further than that is going out of your way to find fault...

Is the Sunderland AFC badge offensive because it has a ship on it? Ships were used to transport slaves... should we get offended about shipping? Bonkers.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:48 pm

They were laughing at the Sunderland one, prob'ly 'cos it's the same shade of blue all around the boat, suggesting it's sinking.
As for the black country one, the first thing chains suggested to me was shackling.
It is a brilliant, striking, design though.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:57 pm

Oh. Chains. Oh I get that now.
I saw three f.cking great bastard-wasps bearing down to attack.
Doesn't say 'come on in' to me says 'dangerous, keep away'
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:47 pm

I quite like the Maryland flag, which is pleasingly geometric:

Quite why the Hawaiian flag still contains the Union Jack after all this time I don't know. It's not like we stopped them from getting annexed or anything...

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:10 pm

tom p wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:48 pm
They were laughing at the Sunderland one, prob'ly 'cos it's the same shade of blue all around the boat, suggesting it's sinking.
As for the black country one, the first thing chains suggested to me was shackling.
It is a brilliant, striking, design though.
Yep.

On top of the football there was a big ship-building rivalry between the Tyne and the Wear.

The actual "Mackem" nickname is a derogatory term from the Tynesiders for the poor quality ships they apparently were turning out. The legend oes the Wearsiders would supposedly undercut the other shipyards but though they would "Make'em" they wouldn't be able to complete them to the necessary standard meaning the other shipyards, including Tyneside, would be compelled to "Take'em" and finish the job.

The boat on their badge looks like it is in distress and on the verge of being swamped; combine that with Sunderland's economy and football team being perpetually underwater and you had a perfect metaphor for the general malaise on Wearside. One they voluntarily picked themselves.

The one they've replaced it with is your standard uninspiring cod-medieval coat-of-arms which looks like it should belong to the sort of dubious degree-mill that'll will give your dead cat a degree in Homeopathy for £50.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:11 pm

Yes, I like the Maryland flag. The flag of Loudoun County, Virginia, on the other hand, may be the worst piece of heraldry I've ever seen:

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:27 pm

bolo wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:11 pm
Yes, I like the Maryland flag. The flag of Loudoun County, Virginia, on the other hand, may be the worst piece of heraldry I've ever seen:

That just looks like the coding on Space Invaders got borked.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:33 pm

bolo wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:11 pm

There is (always) a TEDTalk about that.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:59 pm

Spoiler

Milwaukee's is physically painful to look at.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:29 pm

This is getting ridiculous.

From the government,
Currently, Union flags are only required to be flown on all UK Government buildings on designated days. The guidance will ask for the flag to be flown all year round, unless another flag is being flown – such as another national flag of the UK, or a county flag, or other flags to mark civic pride.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:45 pm

This is getting absurd
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other

Damn, ninjaed
Last edited by Grumble on Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:52 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:29 pm
This is getting ridiculous.

From the government,
Currently, Union flags are only required to be flown on all UK Government buildings on designated days. The guidance will ask for the flag to be flown all year round, unless another flag is being flown – such as another national flag of the UK, or a county flag, or other flags to mark civic pride.
I told you Starmer would never win a flag waving contest against Johnson.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:11 pm

The slow descent towards Norsefire continues.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:11 pm
Just had to find out what Norsefire was.

I think we’re on a sad slide towards the US. I thought of all the things we’ve copied from the States over the years flag shagging wouldn’t be one of them. Makes me sad and angry.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:25 pm

I’ll be f.cking livid with Russell T Davies if it turns out the government watched Years And Years and thought it was a policy document.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:25 pm
I’ll be f.cking livid with Russell T Davies if it turns out the government watched Years And Years and thought it was a policy document.
Well the media took The Day today & Brass Eye to be instruction manuals...

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:40 pm

Little waster wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:33 pm
There is (always) a TEDTalk about that.
Thanks! I like the podcast that guy produces, but I started listening more recently than the TED talk episode so it was new to me.

The Milwaukee and Pocatello flags are indeed terrible, but in a different way from the Loudoun County terribleness. Very hard to decide which is worst. Yuk.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:45 pm

Grumble wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:

I think we’re on a sad slide towards the US. I thought of all the things we’ve copied from the States over the years flag shagging wouldn’t be one of them. Makes me sad and angry.
The increase is nationalism that all this does worry me, but we've got a long way to go before British schoolchildren are doing something similar to the Pledge of Allegience every morning.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:03 pm

Little waster wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:10 pm
The actual "Mackem" nickname is a derogatory term from the Tynesiders for the poor quality ships they apparently were turning out. The legend oes the Wearsiders would supposedly undercut the other shipyards but though they would "Make'em" they wouldn't be able to complete them to the necessary standard meaning the other shipyards, including Tyneside, would be compelled to "Take'em" and finish the job.
According to the Wiki, this explanation is "disputed" and "unlikely". Time you started an edit war Lw.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:50 pm

jdc wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:03 pm
Little waster wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:10 pm
According to the Wiki, this explanation is "disputed" and "unlikely". Time you started an edit war Lw.
The claim that it is disputed is disputed.

The supporting link takes you to a 404 page.

Digging further will take you to an equivalent page where the argument is made citing County Durham historian William Fordyce in 1857 that a) Mak’em was probably a term of abuse b) on the basis that the ships “made” on Wearside were cheaper and poorer quality than those “built” elsewhere (distinction his).
In his description of Sunderland shipbuilding in the late 1700s and early 1800s Fordyce notes that Sunderland shipbuilders were “vigorous and enterprising in the prosecution of their business”, but “did not appear generally to have been possessed of much scientific knowledge respecting it.”

Much of Sunderland shipbuilding in that early period (1700s-c1830s) was seemingly about building ships where quality was very much regulated by price. In his explanation of this situation Fordyce uses italics to emphasise the words ‘build’ and ‘make’ to describe the differing qualities of workmanship available. It is clear that he was relating a particular opinion of Sunderland shipbuilding in those earlier times.
The site itself https://englandsnortheast.co.uk/about-the-site/ (last updated October 2020) is merely the hobby project of some amateur local journalist and historian which he has occasionally been updating since the days of dial-up with all the authority that goes with that.

This is most-telling by the repeated failure to state that Mackems are all troglodyte degenerates and the original inspiration for the Morlocks in H.G. Wells Time Machine.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:38 am

monkey wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:45 pm
Grumble wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:

The increase is nationalism that all this does worry me, but we've got a long way to go before British schoolchildren are doing something similar to the Pledge of Allegience every morning.
Someone needs to ask Johnson "If Britain is so great, why are you importing all your political ideas from America?"

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:03 am

Which one of you is responsible for this?
Screenshot_20210325_070212.jpg
Screenshot_20210325_070212.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:26 am

I never knew until now that London has its own flag

and the City of London has a different one.