Brexit Consequences

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: Brexit Consequences

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:50 am

UK research to cooperate fully with Horizon Europe: https://ec.europa.eu/info/files/qa-uks- ... -europe_en

Which is good.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:37 am

nezumi wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:28 pm
Oh! don't worry if you skipped all that, I feel so much better now I've got rid of all that pent up rage.

Thanks for either listening or not, I really, really needed it.
May I offer my signature? Best listened to, from Ignoreland by REM. (If you only know REM from their singles it may be a surprise.)
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:39 am

Grumble wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:37 am
nezumi wrote:
Oh! don't worry if you skipped all that, I feel so much better now I've got rid of all that pent up rage.

May I offer my signature? Best listened to, from Ignoreland by REM. (If you only know REM from their singles it may be a surprise.)
I thought it seemed familiar. Never really noticed the track before, but ended up on a long driving holiday in ~2002 with insufficient CDs and so AFTP got a lot of plays; now one of my favourite REM tracks.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:38 am

Martin_B wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:39 am
Grumble wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:37 am
nezumi wrote:

I thought it seemed familiar. Never really noticed the track before, but ended up on a long driving holiday in ~2002 with insufficient CDs and so AFTP got a lot of plays; now one of my favourite REM tracks.
I think angry Stipe is my favourite Stipe.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:02 pm

nezumi wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:04 pm
veravista wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:38 pm
Pretty much echoing my feelings...
Thank the FSM it's not just me.
It isn't
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

malbui
Fuzzable

Post by malbui » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:15 pm

JQH wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:02 pm
nezumi wrote:
veravista wrote:
It isn't
I've not set foot in the UK for the best part of two years now and I have no desire to. The country in which I grew up is no longer one in which I feel comfortable.

I would express my detestation of the Tories and of everybody else implicated in the Brexit project but I don't possess the necessary vocabulary in any language.
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:34 pm

malbui wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:15 pm
JQH wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:02 pm
nezumi wrote:

It isn't
I've not set foot in the UK for the best part of two years now and I have no desire to. The country in which I grew up is no longer one in which I feel comfortable.

I would express my detestation of the Tories and of everybody else implicated in the Brexit project but I don't possess the necessary vocabulary in any language.
Klingon, Vogon or something from Lovecraft is probably the correct language.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:35 pm

veravista wrote:
likewise.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:45 pm

Then I hope I expressed our feelings on the matter in an eloquent enough way to do justice to the gravity of the situation.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:10 pm

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/03/the ... ided-tour/

EU 'launches' legal proceeding against the UK. I'm not sure I follow all the legal stuff, but I'm fairly sure that David Allen Green does.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:30 pm

shpalman wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 pm
shpalman wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:42 pm
I've just ordered some tea from Stokes in Lincoln, so we'll see if that ever gets to me and if I'll have to pay any tax or import duty on it.
It just arrived. No problem.
I also ordered another one of those things (actually this version) which makes it easier to use it, from "the Indian Vaccine Tea Company" via in the UK via Amazon on the 3rd of March, with estimated delivery date 19th-23rd March, and it just arrived, and I see there's a customs declaration sticker on the box.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Hunting Dog
Fuzzable

Post by Hunting Dog » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:41 pm

So the first 'events' for the forthcoming "Festival of Brexit" are being announced

apparently including a huge "grow your own food" initiative

so are the little shits finally admitting we might have a less than optimal food supply in future?

"Dig for victory" eh :roll:

warumich
Fuzzable

Post by warumich » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:59 pm

A celebration of British weather
:shock:

There is a lot of things I love about this country. The weather isn't one of them
I've never had a signature, and it never did me any harm

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:34 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... n-browning
After two disastrous attempts since January to send British pork to Germany, where it is made into 75 tonnes of organic sausages annually, the firm behind Helen Browning’s Organic says it has been forced to drop its support for UK farmers and switch to Danish suppliers.

“The cost, the complexity, and the sheer time and effort it takes to manage an export, it’s just not worth it,” said Vicky McNicholas, the firm’s managing director.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:08 pm

jdc wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:34 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... n-browning
After two disastrous attempts since January to send British pork to Germany, where it is made into 75 tonnes of organic sausages annually, the firm behind Helen Browning’s Organic says it has been forced to drop its support for UK farmers and switch to Danish suppliers.

“The cost, the complexity, and the sheer time and effort it takes to manage an export, it’s just not worth it,” said Vicky McNicholas, the firm’s managing director.
From that same article, the government is batting for British businesses by requiring practically no checks on foreign food imports, unlike our exports to the EU, lovely tilted playing field for our producers. Given that the alternatives would be food shortages in the UK, Johnson and Co have negotiated the country into a corner.

FairySmall
Sindis Poop

Post by FairySmall » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:56 pm

warumich wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:59 pm

There is a lot of things I love about this country. The weather isn't one of them
But we do have a lot of it. And it features in pretty much all our small talk. Without it, we Brits wouldn't be able to hold a conversation...

warumich
Fuzzable

Post by warumich » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:32 am

FairySmall wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:56 pm
warumich wrote:

But we do have a lot of it. And it features in pretty much all our small talk. Without it, we Brits wouldn't be able to hold a conversation...
Once a gentleman reaches a certain age, he also likes to smalltalk about aches and pains. I don't think a celebration of aches and pains would become a thing though.

Still, nice out today, isn't it, I might be able to do a spot of gardening this weekend. If my back doesn't play up
I've never had a signature, and it never did me any harm

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:04 am

warumich wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:32 am
FairySmall wrote:
warumich wrote:

Once a gentleman reaches a certain age, he also likes to smalltalk about aches and pains. I don't think a celebration of aches and pains would become a thing though.

Still, nice out today, isn't it, I might be able to do a spot of gardening this weekend. If my back doesn't play up
Fortunately the nights are getting lighter now, although clocks will go back soon so you'll lose an hour. Also Easter is early/late* this year.

*still TBD as the ruling on the relative earliness/lateness of Easter can only be determined by a conclave of the oldest surviving female relatives of each family and lockdown has prevented the annual pronouncement this year. IIRC once a decision is made it is communicated to the outside world by the burning of different coloured skeins of wool with a particularly early Easter indicated by the burning of a still-incomplete yellow pullover Auntie Mabel began knitting me back in 1974.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:18 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:04 am
warumich wrote:
FairySmall wrote:
Fortunately the nights are getting lighter now, although clocks will go back soon so you'll lose an hour. Also Easter is early/late* this year.
For those of us that are Northhalfers the clocks go forward, so you gain an hour (of light) in the evening
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:51 pm

Little waster wrote:
It's neither early or late this year. 8 April is the middle of the range for Easter Sunday (22 March to 25 April), so this year's 4 April is pretty much in the middle. The generally accepted definition is anything in March is early, anything 16 April onwards is late.
*still TBD as the ruling on the relative earliness/lateness of Easter can only be determined by a conclave of the oldest surviving female relatives of each family and lockdown has prevented the annual pronouncement this year.
f.ck, it was a trap and I walked right into it.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:57 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:18 pm
Little waster wrote:
warumich wrote:

For those of us that are Northhalfers the clocks go forward, so you gain an hour (of light) in the evening
And so both traps are sprung.

We all remember the helpful mnemonic "Spring Back, Fall Forward, except February which has 32 stalacTIGHTS!".

:oops:
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:14 am

"After a four year build up Brexit meets reality"

https://twitter.com/ali__samson/status/ ... 7908286467
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Turdly
Clardic Fug

Post by Turdly » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:21 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:50 am
UK research to cooperate fully with Horizon Europe: https://ec.europa.eu/info/files/qa-uks- ... -europe_en

Which is good.
Sadly, it looks like the money for Horizon Europe, that would have come from our EU membership contribution, will instead come BEIS budget, so a reduction in funding elsewhere. The Science and Technology Select Committee are not impressed and have written to the PM and Chancellor

In those letters you'll see that we're already cutting ODA money that was funding GCRF projects including cutting the budget of ongoing projects and will ultimately lead to redundancies here and overseas. To make it even better, universities have been asked to choose what gets cut (sorry, paywall) which is likely to result in idealogical/strategic/internal politics deciding things rather than anything like real research quality or potential impact.
briefly Stephanie's favourite user

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:21 pm

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:43 pm

veravista wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:21 pm
Hahahahahahahahahhaha

https://global247news.com/2021/03/26/te ... F_ECyquyF4
I'm happy to laugh at the Brexit voters being chucked out, but I'm curious as to the reasons the Spanish have turned down applications to remain. Some folks will probably have be caught up by that without being Two-World-Wars-And-One-World-Cup types.