Fishnut
After Pie

Re: Met Police response at Clapham Common

Post by Fishnut » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:22 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:10 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:27 pm
I wanted to discuss one of the videos that did the rounds last night. This one.

Here's a cropped screenshot:
Police officer and vigil attendee.jpg

<snip>
Do you mind if I take a screengrab of your post. I've been trying to explain about the issues to a friend who asked me to try and explain what he could do to help, and I was trying to explain it's not only big things like not stalking people, but all the little things as well

This is so much more eloquent that I can manage

CF
Feel free! I hope it helps :)
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:30 pm

Cheers

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:12 pm

And how much worse can the Met’s priorities get?
Police are investigating reports that a woman mourning the death of Sarah Everard was flashed by a man as she made her way home, but was not taken seriously when she tried to report it to officers on the ground.

The woman, named only as Georgina, said an officer told her they were sick of the people attending the vigil on Clapham Common in south-west London and falsely called them “rioters”. Georgina said officers showed no inclination to help her to safety despite the incident having taken place only a short distance from where Everard was last seen alive less than a fortnight earlier.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:22 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:30 pm
In guess it's probably worth remembering this story from last year: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... 198702.amp (not a nice story as I'm sure you can imagine).
And it looks like they learned nothing.

Actually, scrap that. They learned that they can get away with this sort of awful, dehumanising, unprofessional and immoral behaviour and so have no reason to stop.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:26 am

Grumble wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:59 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:54 pm
bob sterman wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:45 pm
So apparently Boris Johnson has said he has "full confidence" in Cressida Dick - so that means she's toast right?
Unfortunately I doubt it. Has anyone in Johnson's government been forced to resign for incompetence yet? I can't see her being the first.
The vigil organisers don’t want her to resign, apparently.
They have apparently changed their mind following a meeting with her, and now do want her to resign. I've been wondering about her ever since the killing of Jean Charles de Menezes fifteen years ago. I suppose it helped her that there was no one around to take photographs as officers under her direct command pinned him down and put a bullet through his head, but it still seems odd that she managed to come out of that with her reputation sufficiently intact to become commissioner of the met.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:19 pm

snoozeofreason wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:26 am

They have apparently changed their mind following a meeting with her, and now do want her to resign. I've been wondering about her ever since the killing of Jean Charles de Menezes fifteen years ago. I suppose it helped her that there was no one around to take photographs as officers under her direct command pinned him down and put a bullet through his head, but it still seems odd that she managed to come out of that with her reputation sufficiently intact to become commissioner of the met.
My thoughts too. You'd think a f.ck-up like that would blight someone's career, not help them to the top of the greasy pole.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Iron Magpie
Sindis Poop

Post by Iron Magpie » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:06 pm

snoozeofreason wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:26 am

I was about to apologise for being pedantic but then realised this is just the right place to be so. With that in mind......

7 bullets in his head*

*and one in his shoulder.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:18 pm

No, you're all wrong. The police behaved impeccably. It's the fault of people like you that people don't have faith in the police. We've got an independent report that says so.

I entirely agree with the Police Federation:
Ken Marsh, chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said the outcome of the report was "no surprise"

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:32 pm

Last edited by sTeamTraen on Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Something something hammer something something nail

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:32 pm

<I made a comment about the de Menezes case here, but I deleted it as on balance it probably wasn't helpful>
Something something hammer something something nail

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:53 pm

Sciolus wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:18 pm
No, you're all wrong. The police behaved impeccably. It's the fault of people like you that people don't have faith in the police. We've got an independent report that says so.

I entirely agree with the Police Federation:
Ken Marsh, chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said the outcome of the report was "no surprise"
It can be found here: https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk ... ard-vigil/