Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: Brexit Consequences

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:06 pm

Little waster wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:25 pm
The future of Trident is in doubt

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... dependence

So that’s leaving the EEC and now unilateral nuclear disarmament.

I imagine Wedgie Benn is looking down laughing his cock off about now.
Most likely it won't be scrapped. But the alternatives to Faslane will cost a ton of money. Basing the submarines in the US or France for a period would further undermine notions that its an independent deterrent.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:34 pm

bolo wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:14 pm
nezumi wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:56 pm
I don't think machines will ever fully replace a good human translator
"Ever" is a very long time.
When I'm asked to translate something from Italian to English I run it through google translate and do a bit of editing to catch any mistranslations or idiomatic expressions or whatever. But a lot of the time I don't actually have to fix that much.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 pm

British food exports were down more than a fifth in February 2021, new figures show, driven by a fall in sales to the EU of nearly 41% compared to a year before.

In the first few months of 2021, exports to the bloc were down more than £1.1bn, impacting sales to most member states, the Food and Drink Federation (FDF) says in a new update.

The dairy and meat sectors were worst impacted, with sales of milk and cream to the EU down 96%, and chicken and beef down by more than three quarters.

The fall in imports in February 2021 was driven by a drop of 17% from the EU compared to February 2020.

At the same time, imports from the rest of the world increased by nearly 6 percent, the FDF explains in its new 'snapshot' released on Monday (26 April).

Imports fell from each of the UK’s top six suppliers in February 2021, with these countries supplying around half of the UK’s imported food and drink.

Imports of pork, chicken and beef were down more than 30% compared to February 2020. Fruit and vegetables were down by 21% and 13% respectively.

[...]

“While UK food and drink exports to the EU have improved from a 76% fall in January, they are still down nearly 41% in February 2021.

"Exports to our biggest market, Ireland, have also dropped more than two thirds," Mr Goudie added.

"Small businesses have been hardest hit due to the collapse of groupage distribution into the EU."

New EU import requirements for composite products entered into force this week, adding even greater complexity, cost and uncertainty for UK exporters, he said.
https://www.farminguk.com/news/substant ... 58073.html

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:26 pm

shpalman wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:34 pm
When I'm asked to translate something from Italian to English I run it through google translate and do a bit of editing to catch any mistranslations or idiomatic expressions or whatever. But a lot of the time I don't actually have to fix that much.
DeepL is pretty good.
Something something hammer something something nail

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:15 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:26 pm
shpalman wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:34 pm
DeepL is pretty good.
Isso é o que disse ela.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:26 pm

Now it gets serious for the masses...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56932551

(I would rather have Haddock to be honest)

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:23 am

veravista wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:26 pm
Now it gets serious for the masses...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56932551

(I would rather have Haddock to be honest)
The masses will still be able to eat Fish and Chips even if the cod isn't caught by British boats.

As far as I can tell, the Norwegian demand is for UK imports of fish products to be tariff free. The big issue here is salmon rather than cod. The EU had accused Norway of 'dumping' salmon products (ie selling them at below market price). So if the Norwegian exports were cheaper then the UK home produced salmon that would be bad news for the Scottish salmon industry which is currently protected by 12% import tariffs.

Sales of Salmon in the UK are worth much more than cod overall, and I assume that production costs are likely to be more different. The problem for the UK government is that cod fishing is a much bigger political issue.

Norway can probably afford to wait as the current tariff levels are a continuation of what it was when Britain was in the EU.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:32 am

But, but, but our fishing industry (or the one really big boat).

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:11 am

veravista wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:32 am
(or the one really big boat).
Oh how this grinds my gears! How the hell has this country allowed ONE SODDING BOAT to take "around 10% of all the fish sold in the UK's chip shops."

Either the total amounts involved are utterly piddling or somebody is taking the piss out of the system.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:26 am

Don't want to link to the Daily Mail, so here's a tweet of a screengrab: https://twitter.com/eberlmat/status/138 ... 41/photo/2

Headline: Thousands of EU bar and café workers reject old UK jobs: 15% of furloughed staff refuse to return.

Apparently some of them have had the temerity to get better-paid jobs and don't want to come back...

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:21 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:26 am
Don't want to link to the Daily Mail, so here's a tweet of a screengrab: https://twitter.com/eberlmat/status/138 ... 41/photo/2

Headline: Thousands of EU bar and café workers reject old UK jobs: 15% of furloughed staff refuse to return.

Apparently some of them have had the temerity to get better-paid jobs and don't want to come back...
Oooh crikey, time for the country to put its labour where its mouth is then. I hate it when "I told you so" is so bitterly won.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:49 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:

From the perspective of a Leave voter, this may be a good thing. Pubs and restaurants may have to offer higher wages, or offer jobs to people who wouldn't have been employed before.

I'm not suggesting that overall the economy is better off, as all those Lithuanian or Spanish workers would have been spending money and paying taxes.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:05 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:49 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:

From the perspective of a Leave voter, this may be a good thing. Pubs and restaurants may have to offer higher wages, or offer jobs to people who wouldn't have been employed before...
If getting shitfaced becomes more expensive such that fewer people end up doing it all the time, that's also a win.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:44 pm

The problem being of course is that the Brits, on the whole, see hospitality work as unskilled or temporary and not to be taken seriously - whereas a lot of the staff who've left are experienced and highly skilled at running and working in busy venues. If our local carvery type pubs are anything to go by, getting temporary end of school age staff is relatively easy, getting someone to actually run the place under their own steam is a different kettle of cod.

individualmember
Catbabel

Post by individualmember » Sun May 02, 2021 3:07 pm

nezumi wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:11 am
veravista wrote:
Oh how this grinds my gears! How the hell has this country allowed ONE SODDING BOAT to take "around 10% of all the fish sold in the UK's chip shops."

Either the total amounts involved are utterly piddling or somebody is taking the piss out of the system.
This morning I saw a post by a quitter in a Facebook group which basically said the Kirkella is Dutch so f.ck’em.
UK Fisheries is a PLC and apparently one of the major shareholders is a Dutch multinational. :roll:

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Sun May 02, 2021 3:12 pm

individualmember wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:07 pm
nezumi wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:11 am
veravista wrote:

This morning I saw a post by a quitter in a Facebook group which basically said the Kirkella is Dutch so f.ck’em.
UK Fisheries is a PLC and apparently one of the major shareholders is a Dutch multinational. :roll:
How can anyone expect anyone to be patriotic when this kind of beyond-satire can happen here? I mean, I'd love this country if it would just try to be a little bit less sh.t!

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon May 03, 2021 1:13 pm

Since the Thatcher-era attitude that selling everything into foreign ownership was fine because it brought in investment and kept jobs here, there are probably a much higher proportion of UK jobs which are ultimately part of a foreign corporation than most of us quite imagine. So there's a vast range of industries still available to dwindle and die of Brexit while the quitters handwave them away as foreigners who don't matter.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Mon May 03, 2021 2:07 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:13 pm
Since the Thatcher-era attitude that selling everything into foreign ownership was fine because it brought in investment and kept jobs here, there are probably a much higher proportion of UK jobs which are ultimately part of a foreign corporation than most of us quite imagine. So there's a vast range of industries still available to dwindle and die of Brexit while the quitters handwave them away as foreigners who don't matter.
This really is just the inevitable end point of that policy. Brexit brought it about quicker. At this stage though it would surprise me if anybody in power started examining that idea and coming to the correct conclusions re: that policy being very, very stupid and short-sighted.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Wed May 05, 2021 9:17 pm

Another tiny bit falls off the UK bus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55674148

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed May 05, 2021 9:52 pm

We aren't going to let Jersey fall without a fight though.

HMS Invincible and HMS Hermes are on the way, SS Canberra and the QE2 have been requisitioned.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed May 05, 2021 10:09 pm

veravista wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:17 pm
Another tiny bit falls off the UK bus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55674148
Northern Ireland next.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

OffTheRock
Fuzzable

Post by OffTheRock » Thu May 06, 2021 9:24 am

lpm wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:52 pm

HMS Invincible and HMS Hermes are on the way, SS Canberra and the QE2 have been requisitioned.
Sending in military boats to solve CI fishing disputes always ends well. I’d ask WTF they were thinking but the answers going to be this will play well with the electorate.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Thu May 06, 2021 10:42 am

OffTheRock wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:24 am
lpm wrote:

Sending in military boats to solve CI fishing disputes always ends well. I’d ask WTF they were thinking but the answers going to be this will play well with the electorate.
What a pissy little country the UK has become. :cry:
It's like Capt. Mainwaring is running things.
Time for a big fat one.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Thu May 06, 2021 10:45 am

OffTheRock wrote:
lpm wrote:

Yep.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu May 06, 2021 11:52 am

Opti wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:42 am
OffTheRock wrote:
lpm wrote:

What a pissy little country the UK has become. :cry:
It's like Capt. Mainwaring is running things.
Only if Captain Mainwaring is played by Sid James at his most libidinous