Misfits

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
plodder
Stummy Beige

Re: Misfits

Post by plodder » Wed May 26, 2021 6:22 pm

You're right of course. It's a hugely plausible narrative though. When you look at people like Johnson, Hancock, Cummings etc that is exactly how I'd expect them to behave.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed May 26, 2021 6:45 pm

plodder wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:22 pm
You're right of course. It's a hugely plausible narrative though. When you look at people like Johnson, Hancock, Cummings etc that is exactly how I'd expect them to behave.
The most effective lies are partly based upon truth. Some of what Cummings claims may well have happened. But his testimony was very self serving and was intended to protect his reputation and advance his career.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed May 26, 2021 7:24 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:45 pm
plodder wrote:
The most effective lies are partly based upon truth. Some of what Cummings claims may well have happened. But his testimony was very self serving and was intended to protect his reputation and advance his career.
Exactly. He might know where the bodies are buried (sadly almost literally) but he's a proven* liar, and unless he backs anything up with credible evidence - it's worthless.

*and proven to lie needlessly - where the lies are easily disproven and they are unrelated to the implausible story he wants us to believe.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu May 27, 2021 5:15 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
plodder wrote:
A psychopathic self-server will use the truth where it serves his purposes, and lie when the truth is inconvenient.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat May 29, 2021 9:31 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:15 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
plodder wrote:
A psychopathic self-server will use the truth where it serves his purposes, and lie when the truth is inconvenient.
Exactly, he is only useful where he provides supporting evidence or shows where it can be found

Although one could ask why, if he's such a liar he was allowed anywhere near government.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:34 pm

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:57 pm

I would rather hope hope that Cummings didn't leave his job and take a load of papers with him. Any employer would take a dim view of that, let alone a government. So I'm not sure what written evidence he's expected to provide.