Jews Don't Count

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Millennie Al
After Pie

Re: Jews Don't Count

Post by Millennie Al » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:16 am

Tessa K wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:21 am
So while racism is based on social constructs, it's part of an inherent human tendency as social animals. The way to deal with it is to make people see a larger group as Us rather than Them. Encouraging kids to mix at school is one way to do it. Either that or being forced to unite globally to resist an alien invasion.
Like we've been facing for the last year?

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:56 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:16 am
Tessa K wrote:
So while racism is based on social constructs, it's part of an inherent human tendency as social animals. The way to deal with it is to make people see a larger group as Us rather than Them. Encouraging kids to mix at school is one way to do it. Either that or being forced to unite globally to resist an alien invasion.
I thought someone might say that. And no, this has divided, not united, us.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:49 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:56 am
Millennie Al wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:16 am
Tessa K wrote:
I thought someone might say that. And no, this has divided, not united, us.
There will always be fools and tools who insist on f.cking it up for everyone else. Britain had its own blackshirts and Nazi sympathisers before and during WWII.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:57 pm

Tessa K wrote:
discovolante wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:18 am
Tessa K wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:59 am

Yep. Telling people their prejudice is based on a wrong idea doesn't make that prejudice go away.
I'm reading 'What White People Can Do Next' by Emma Dabiri, and that is kind of what she is doing (arguing that race is a social colonialist/capitalist construct designed to divide and rule and that everyone needs to understand that to move past it and find a common cause).

Late eta: this is of course in the context mainly of anti black racism and the creation of the concept of 'whiteness' generally.
It's an aspect of Othering, asserting that whatever group you belong to is superior to all others and often using religion or other cultural artefacts as a justification. That's a global phenomenon, pre-colonial and pre-capitalist, but these two gave it extra power, a wider reach and pseudo-scientific 'justification'.

True, sorry I wasn't very clear. I'd meant to clarify that I was talking about a relatively specific form of racism, and how its origins can be fairly solidly be traced back to particular places and times. So I think some form of education about the history of racist attitudes can be helpful - obviously that would go beyond just making an assertion, and it wouldn't necessarily be effective with everyone, but I think it's worth doing. Presumably Baddiel does it in his book too although I haven't read it.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:21 am

Reports of anti-​Semitism in London reached their highest recorded level last month, according to figures from a Jewish safety charity.

The Community Security Trust (CST) said 201 incidents were reported in the capital in May - it said almost all of them were linked to the conflict in Israel and Gaza.

Twelve reports were linked to assaults and more than 160 to abusive behaviour.

The total exceeds the previous record when 179 were recorded, in July 2014.

Other offences recorded by the trust included 20 threats and seven cases relating to damage and desecration, making it the largest number recorded in one month since it started recording the numbers in the 1980s.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57439688