Vaccine rollout in Italy

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Vaccine rollout in Italy

Post by shpalman » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:33 pm

Dance Partner went to get her second Pfizer dose this afternoon; she said there were lots more people there compared to five weeks ago when she had the first dose. Apparently there were lots of young people getting their first dose of AstraZeneca, something which I didn't think we were doing anymore.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:40 am

The rollout isn't slowing down here though. At all. 600,000 doses given yesterday. Still, there are discussions about requiring a Green Pass to go to entertainment venues or whatever. Fontana in Lombardia is against it because something something privacy and it's obviously not necessary right now to further incentivise people to get vaccinated, but then covid-related things in Lombardy go much better when the people running Lombardy stay out of it and let competent people handle it (e.g. vaccine rollout).

One issue of course is that you can already go to a restaurant, so they're obviously against requiring a Green Pass for something which you can already do without one. However, cases are at 20/100,000/week having doubled from 10 in less than a week (looking at my 7-day average for Lombardy) so we'll be at the 50/100,000/week threshold for Yellow Zone before the end of the month. Unless of course they decide to base it on hospital occupancy (143 in hospital with symptoms plus 30 in the ICU in Lombardy as of yesterday and it's been falling but it's stopped falling; 2 new admissions to the ICU) instead of the case rate because they're morons who've forgotten about that 2-3 week lag.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:05 am

But an important update is that if you're going to be in a different region than your normal residence for at least 15 days, because of holidays, you can book the vaccine there.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:40 pm

The local vaccination hub at Villa Erba is closed because of all this sort of thing.

(where I am in the city itself is fine so far but the towns along the lake shore are having a terrible time of it)
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:59 pm

Oh but apparently there's a "fly-in' vax-n'-go service at Rome Fiumicino airport.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:01 pm

Meanwhile, restaurant owners have been protesting to maintain their freedom to get themselves and their staff infected from unvaccinated covid-positive diners.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:07 am

Italy Vaccination 2021-07-28.png
Italy Vaccination 2021-07-28.png (59.69 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
I notice Italy has recently mainly been giving second doses while supply has been slowing down a bit. Lombardy for example has used 99.7% of its supply meaning that it has about 40,000 left, which is less than half a day's worth.

This is how Italy is getting on with vaccinating the different age groups:
Italy VaxAge 2021-07-28.png
Italy VaxAge 2021-07-28.png (15.28 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
For scale, the 50-59 age group bar is 9,65 million people, but you can go to https://www.governo.it/it/cscovid19/report-vaccini/ and mouseover the bars to see the numbers.

So there's still millions of people in riskier age groups who haven't even had one dose, but cases are going up so we'll soon get rid of a few % of those.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:47 pm

Meanwhile some c.nts have hacked Lazio such that their vaccination booking system is down.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:43 am

shpalman wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:47 pm
Meanwhile some c.nts have hacked Lazio such that their vaccination booking system is down.
It seems to be their whole system, such that they can't properly report their covid stats either. So be ready for a Guardian live blog giving a number out of context, perhaps comparing it to the previous day, when those cases come through to the national daily report.

Meanwhile Lombardy is currently indicating 100.1% usage of available vaccine doses. At the beginning this was happening depending on being able to get 5 or even 6 doses out of a Pfizer phial when 4 was the official number* but I'm not sure what it is now.

(* - and when Pfizer heard about this they wanted the number of delivered doses, and the price, to be adjusted accordingly.)
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:33 pm

FB_IMG_1628188349075.jpg
FB_IMG_1628188349075.jpg (68.43 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Wonder how Lazio got hacked...
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:16 pm

About 3.5 million Pfizer doses arrived in Italy today, but of course in August the rollout has slowed down, what with it being August and everything slows down in Italy.

Cases seem to be coming down in my bit of Italy, but they're spiking over the border in Ticino.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:35 pm

shpalman wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:16 pm
About 3.5 million Pfizer doses arrived in Italy today, but of course in August the rollout has slowed down, what with it being August and everything slows down in Italy.

Cases seem to be coming down in my bit of Italy, but they're spiking over the border in Ticino.
Something like 100,000 Pfizers have been removed from the total stock since then; I don't know if that's expiry, donation to covax, or correction of the previous delivery.
sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:24 pm
Spain's official figure for doses of AZ delivered fell again this week. It's now down to 9,979,000, which is 408,800 below the number in mid-July. I presume they are working out who still needs a second AZ dose more accurately, and sending the rest elsewhere.
The Johnson & Johnson total is down 316,000 from the peak it reached at the end of July but we still seem to be accepting AstraZeneca doses.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:51 pm

italy-heat-map-20210823.png
italy-heat-map-20210823.png (313.18 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
This heatmap of Italy's covids is practically a map of where the summer holiday destinations are.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:11 pm

From Monday, Sicily will be Yellow. I think it only means masks outside and no more than four at a table. Experience last wave was that we needed Orange before cases would actually go down.

Sardegna and Calabria are still White for the moment.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:03 pm

The Milan airports are now offering free* covid tests for anyone arriving from Sardinia or Sicily. Well, Malpensa is so far. Bergamo would have done, if they'd been told about it...

(* - because at Bergamo airport there's a pharmacy and you can get a test there and then claim the cost back)
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:41 am

shpalman wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:11 pm
From Monday, Sicily will be Yellow...
They're saying it risks going Orange in a week. I mean, of course it does, because it will take a while for the Yellow rules to have what tiny effect they're going to have and in the meantime things will keep getting worse. The people who are going to end up in hospital next week have already been infected.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:03 pm

photo_2021-08-30_13-46-04.jpg
photo_2021-08-30_13-46-04.jpg (119.19 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
I still don't want to go there, and in the nicest possible way, please don't come here.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:31 am

The Pfizers keep being delivered and maybe the rate of vaccinations is picking up again, back to over 300,000 a day, after the summer holidays. At least it means even Lombardy has a few days' worth of stockpile.

I've heard that there's still about 10% of teachers* unvaccinated, and there isn't really an excuse for that anymore. A Green Pass is now a legal requirement for them to do their jobs. A Green Pass is also necessary for anyone over the age of 12 who goes to school so anyone not already vaccinated won't have one before term starts; I've heard though that they've been redirected to the big out-of-town hub instead of the hospital/clinic near where I live, which isn't helpful.

We're also behaving as though a Green Pass will be necessary to do indoor contact sports like partner dancing but the law hasn't been written yet as far as I know. We got a surprise last time when we all assumed indoor contact sports would be allowed in the updated regulations and they turned out not to be mentioned.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:43 pm

Italy could soon make Covid-19 vaccines mandatory, says PM

Anti-vaxxers of course responded in their usual proportionate and civil way.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:36 pm

Our local health service reckons that the unvaccinated get infected six times more easily

This indicates how many people are in each age band in the provinces of Como and Varese, and the percentage of them who have both* vaccine doses (* or the one J&J dose, however tiny that number is).

But the headline figure comes from an incidence, since the beginning of August, of 6.06 cases per 1000 unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated inhabitants (mostly mild/asymptomatic but 1.46% with a median age of 53 needed to go to hospital) versus 1.08 per 1000 of fully vaccinated inhabitants of which 1.19% (median age 83.5) needed to go to hospital.

At this point you can probably figure out what the table says ("lieve" means light symptoms which don't involve the respiratory system).

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:50 am

Vaccination rates in Italy seem to have picked up again a bit, such that percentage of population fully vaccinated should overtake the UK soon.

Still, there's a ~1% CFR here; the coverage is more spread across the age groups such that there are still millions of older people without even the first dose.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:49 am

Can't remember where else I've posted this and it seems to be non-trivial to find so I want to list the criteria for regions to be in different colour Zones in Italy:

White Zone: <=15% hospital occupancy or <=10% intensive care occupancy.
Yellow Zone: >15% hospital and >10% intensive care...
Orange Zone: >30% hospital and >20% intensive care...
Red Zone: >40% hospital and >30% intensive care.

Sicily is Yellow partly because their older population couldn't be bothered to get around to vaccinating and because they have scarce health care capacity as well as because of the influx of tourists; other touristy regions such as Sardinia have avoiding going from White to Yellow because they've gone over one of the criteria but not both.

Italy as a whole is at about 12-13% on both of these but Lombardy is at 3-4%. The UK seems to be at 20% and 26% respectively and the trend is (slowly) upwards.

These are criteria based on hospital occupancy so as not to be distracted by cases when lots of people are vaccinated; to pass up to Yellow a region used to need more than 50 cases per 100,000 per week for three weeks; Italy as a whole is at 61 and falling, Lombardy is at 36 and falling, the UK is at 400 and fluctuating but generally trending slowly upwards.

In Italy 418 people have died of covid in the last 7 days (Lombardy's death rate is about a quarter of Italy's as a whole); in the UK, 947.

We've given a first dose of the vaccine to a bigger proportion of the population than the UK has, mainly since we've extended the rollout down to the age of 12, so our fully vaccinated proportion should overtake the UK's this week. Hopefully this should avoid that the reopening of schools cause a total cuntsterfuck. But I'm starting to understand the "if not now then when" attitude to reopening that the UK government had in July, because things aren't going to substantially change from this now.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:46 am

shpalman wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:50 am
Still, there's a ~1% CFR here; the coverage is more spread across the age groups such that there are still millions of older people without even the first dose.
Was that by design? The rollout here was very strictly by age cohorts (plus some health/care workers and the super vulnerable).
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:49 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:46 am
shpalman wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:50 am
Was that by design? The rollout here was very strictly by age cohorts (plus some health/care workers and the super vulnerable).
It's not like they waited for each age cohort to be done before opening the next one, but there was also the issue of the wide definition of "health workers" and including the entire family of anyone vulnerable and the initial AstraZeneca age-range problem which meant teachers, armed forced and police got even faster tracked than planned (and then when the AstraZeneca age-range problem flipped the other way they maintained the fast track but switched to Pfizer).

There's also of course a difference between regions.

But it was good that people were trying all sorts of ways to get themselves vaccinated early; they aren't the reason why there are older people who still just haven't bothered. There are doses and capacity to vaccinate just about anyone now without needing to book in advance so no excuses anymore. Anecdotally, my boss who was in Sicily in August reports that they couldn't be bothered to get the vaccine to not f.cking die but now it's more of a hassle to go to the bar they're first in the queue.

Current progress is visible at https://www.governo.it/it/cscovid19/report-vaccini/ and some graphs are at https://lab.gedidigital.it/gedi-visual/ ... ni-italia/

Have you got a link to a similar page for where you are?
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:58 pm

I can't figure out how Our World in Data is estimating Italy's vaccination proportions.

It has 65.47% for fully vaccinated and 73.25% for first dose only, as of yesterday morning. The official numbers were 82,278,770 doses given and 40,916,433 people fully vaccinated (which is more than 75% of the over-12 population).

They think 44.2 million people have received at least one dose and 39.5 million have been fully vaccinated. A gap of 4.7 million. But that second figure seems to correspond to the official data of about ten days ago even if they have the right number for the total doses.

Maybe they are going through the .csv files from the git, something which I can't be bothered to do, but looking at the official doses by age, where you can see the first-dose-only figures in the age range from 49 down, it's about 42.3 million with at least one dose.

So something like 70-71% for first dose only, not ~73% as Our World In Data gets.

(Only about 2 million J&J doses ever arrived in Italy but maybe these numbers make sense if you assume about 1 million people are fully vaccinated from a single J&J dose.) (Actually the graph which shows weekly doses given breaks it down by vaccine type so 1.45 million J&J doses have been given.)
Last edited by shpalman on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk