Shortages in shops

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Tessa K
Light of Blast

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by Tessa K » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:09 am

No pomegranate molasses yesterday. Yes, I know, very niche. I got some from the Turkish shop down the road for 99p. I had to guess that's what it was as the label was in Turkish (with a pic of a pomegranate) and then check with the shopkeeper. It tastes pretty much the same as the Sainsbo one, maybe slightly more tart, which is good, and much cheaper - which is surprising as that shop generally charges more for everything.

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:07 am

Tessa K wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:48 am
There used to be adverts for a brand of coffee that they claimed was what French people drink but you'd never find it in France.
They don’t adore Le Piat d’Or either.

Can any Australians confirm or deny any familiarity with ‘Aussie’ hair care products?
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:55 am

Tessa K wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:09 am
No pomegranate molasses yesterday. Yes, I know, very niche. I got some from the Turkish shop down the road for 99p. I had to guess that's what it was as the label was in Turkish (with a pic of a pomegranate) and then check with the shopkeeper. It tastes pretty much the same as the Sainsbo one, maybe slightly more tart, which is good, and much cheaper - which is surprising as that shop generally charges more for everything.
I find turkish shops are unsurprisingly cheaper for turkish things (or things used loads in turkish cuisine) like pomegranate molasses, flat leaf parsley & mint

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:57 am

Little waster wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:53 am
Tessa K wrote: I doubt any self-respecting Italian would use Dolmio sauces, which are made on Mars.
:shock:

Explains why it’s the Red Planet.

IIRC Ragu (“brings the Italian out in ... YOU!)” is made by the Dutch, the nation whose national dish is a cheese-and-ham toastie croquette filled with mystery grey meat stew, followed by a hard, flat waffle-shaped biscuit filled with caramel ;)

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:41 am

tom p wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:55 am
Tessa K wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:09 am
I find turkish shops are unsurprisingly cheaper for turkish things (or things used loads in turkish cuisine) like pomegranate molasses, flat leaf parsley & mint
When there was no pasta in the supermarkets during the first lockdown, the Turkish shops round here had plenty.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:48 am

bjn wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:03 pm
Pasta shelves in Sainsbury’s were about 10% full, plus no bottled water again. Oils seems a bit low as well.
If you're going to leave anything in the warehouse, bottled water would be number on Choice. Maybe it would encourage people to drink perfectly acceptable tap water

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:19 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:48 am
bjn wrote:
Pasta shelves in Sainsbury’s were about 10% full, plus no bottled water again. Oils seems a bit low as well.
If you're going to leave anything in the warehouse, bottled water would be number on Choice. Maybe it would encourage people to drink perfectly acceptable tap water
Have you ever visited London, or Cornwall, or most of Southern England. If I lived there, never mind drinking bottled water, I would use it to make tea and coffee.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:12 pm

nekomatic wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:07 am
Tessa K wrote:
There used to be adverts for a brand of coffee that they claimed was what French people drink but you'd never find it in France.

Can any Australians confirm or deny any familiarity with ‘Aussie’ hair care products?
I had to look up what Aussie hair care was. Not something I've seen over this side of Oz, and judging from here it's not been available for over 20 years.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:15 pm

WFJ wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:19 pm
Trinucleus wrote:
bjn wrote:
Have you ever visited London, or Cornwall, or most of Southern England. If I lived there, never mind drinking bottled water, I would use it to make tea and coffee.
However, as someone born and raised on the chalk downs of Surrey, I struggled to drink tap water from anywhere else. Our tap water had taste; the tap water in Manchester (university) was just bland. Of course, you just had to put up with descaling the kettle every other month.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:29 pm

Martin_B wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:15 pm
WFJ wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:19 pm
Trinucleus wrote:

However, as someone born and raised on the chalk downs of Surrey, I struggled to drink tap water from anywhere else. Our tap water had taste; the tap water in Manchester (university) was just bland. Of course, you just had to put up with descaling the kettle every other month.
With a jack hammer no doubt, or 14 molar nitric acid.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:10 pm

I grew up on Hampshire chalk and never noticed a big problem. My mum had a kettle with a water filter in it that never needed descaling. Other folk I know just boil some vinegar in it occasionally. It's not a big deal.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:46 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:10 pm
I grew up on Hampshire chalk and never noticed a big problem. My mum had a kettle with a water filter in it that never needed descaling. Other folk I know just boil some vinegar in it occasionally. It's not a big deal.
Tea should never come with a crust on top.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:13 pm

I'm about to make a donation to https://www.wateraid.org/uk/donate/dona ... XVEALw_wcB in aid of all the poor souls in this thread who have had to endure scummy drinking water.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:27 pm

I'm about to make a donation to The Hunger Project in aid of all the poor souls in this thread who have had to endure several minutes without pomegranate molasses.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:35 pm

Attila the Stockbroker has a salient point

"Well, there’s a massive shortage of workers in many industries now. It seems that the jobs ‘taken’ by ‘immigrants’ haven’t been filled by loyal home grown Brits as all the Mail, Express and Sun ‘readers’ demanded! I wonder why that is?
If you are not working, have no health conditions stopping you from doing so and voted for Brexit, I’d say it is your PATRIOTIC DUTY to fill one of the spaces vacated by a ‘foreigner’. And age doesn’t come into it. Your country needs you. If you were young enough to have such a vital say in the future of this country you’re young enough to contribute to it!
‘Retired?’ Pah.
No more Tipping Point for you.
The fields of Lincolnshire are waiting."

I find it hard to disagree.
Then again, I have one or more health conditions, am retired and don't live in the UK. I also voted against Brexit. So obviously I'm with him there. 8-)

btw, no shortages in shops here ... well, except for the ex-pat crack, Richmond sausages. I don't eat meat. :lol: Limited supplies of English cheese, but there is a massive selection of Spanish and other european cheeses to choose from. It's sort of become an obsession to try them all.
Time for a big fat one.

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:28 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:13 pm
I'm about to make a donation to https://www.wateraid.org/uk/donate/dona ... XVEALw_wcB in aid of all the poor souls in this thread who have had to endure scummy drinking water.
Thanks! If they deliver, I'll take a bottle of Evian.

dr_S
Fuzzable

Post by dr_S » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:31 pm

Mine are well stocked too (shops, in case anyone wondered). They used to have marmite, but don't anymore. But as I don't eat it anyway, it's a hardship I'm prepared to endure.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:54 pm

Martin_B wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:12 pm
nekomatic wrote:
Tessa K wrote:

I had to look up what Aussie hair care was. Not something I've seen over this side of Oz, and judging from here it's not been available for over 20 years.
That Wiki entry does mention Aussie Miracle hair products, which do still exist, it's the same company and the logo is the same (the kangaroo). They're still widely available (made by Proctor & Gamble).

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:49 pm

Opti wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:35 pm
Limited supplies of English cheese, but there is a massive selection of Spanish and other european cheeses to choose from. It's sort of become an obsession to try them all.
Let me know if you find a decent Spanish hard cheese in a supermarket. They're all bland as f.ck to me. Our local small supermarket has Isle of Man Creamery Cheddar which is lush.
Something something hammer something something nail

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:31 pm

No milkshakes in ANY McDonald's in Great Britain. In other news, Nigel Farage is not expecting to visit the dry cleaners so much.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:04 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:49 pm
Opti wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:35 pm
Limited supplies of English cheese, but there is a massive selection of Spanish and other european cheeses to choose from. It's sort of become an obsession to try them all.
Let me know if you find a decent Spanish hard cheese in a supermarket. They're all bland as f.ck to me. Our local small supermarket has Isle of Man Creamery Cheddar which is lush.

We have few dedicated cheese shops within a 15 min drive. We get ourcontinental cheese from there. The best supermarkets for cheeses are Supercor and El Corté Ingles foodhall. Do you have those in Majawka?
Time for a big fat one.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:25 am

Tessa K wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:54 pm
Martin_B wrote:
nekomatic wrote:

That Wiki entry does mention Aussie Miracle hair products, which do still exist, it's the same company and the logo is the same (the kangaroo). They're still widely available (made by Proctor & Gamble).
They exist, but aren't widely available in Australia; the only way I could buy them online was from an importer via America - I couldn't find an Australian stockist. From Wiki: "The product was sold in Australia prior to 1990 but was phased out during the 1990s and the product has been focused on the British and American markets."

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:45 am

I think it's only USAians who need the name of their country in every product they buy.

Imagine a shampoo called "British Miracle"?!! Smells like baked beans, makes your hair look like Bojo's.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:41 am

Opti wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:04 pm
The best supermarkets for cheeses are Supercor and El Corté Ingles foodhall. Do you have those in Majawka?
We don't have Supercor but we have a couple of ECI. I'm amazed how good a department store it is in general, real old fashioned service. And the food hall is surprisingly not too too expensive.
Something something hammer something something nail

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:49 am

Martin_B wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:25 am
Tessa K wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:54 pm
Martin_B wrote:

They exist, but aren't widely available in Australia; the only way I could buy them online was from an importer via America - I couldn't find an Australian stockist. From Wiki: "The product was sold in Australia prior to 1990 but was phased out during the 1990s and the product has been focused on the British and American markets."
I thought they were a US thing having never seen them in Australia. I did spend the years prior to 1990 living in the US.
Here grows much rhubarb.