Shortages in shops

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:56 am

BBC News - McDonald's runs out of milkshakes in England, Scotland and Wales
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58315152

(That's the second of these stories I've seen recently where, I like to imagine, there's a little nod/nudge-nudge to a lack of these problems in Northern Ireland.)
Something something hammer something something nail

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:45 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:56 am
BBC News - McDonald's runs out of milkshakes in England, Scotland and Wales
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58315152

(That's the second of these stories I've seen recently where, I like to imagine, there's a little nod/nudge-nudge to a lack of these problems in Northern Ireland.)
No milkshakes to bring all the boys to the yard.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:00 am

Time for a big fat one.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:44 am

Mrs V uses Aussie hair care products and has done for ages. Obviously she also uses head n shoulders, Tresemme, Provoke, John Frieda and a couple of others I can't remember which take up 2.5 shelves of the 3 in the shower....

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:51 am

I've got one like that.
See also wardrobes and drawers.
Time for a big fat one.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:14 pm

A slight sugar shortage in our local Tesco; white sugar is OK but the brown sugars, demerara.

Mine's the flying jacket with the fluffy inside.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:38 pm

veravista wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:44 am
Mrs V uses Aussie hair care products and has done for ages. Obviously she also uses head n shoulders, Tresemme, Provoke, John Frieda and a couple of others I can't remember which take up 2.5 shelves of the 3 in the shower....
I suggest a label/bottle swap, on the same principle as multiple "different" homeopathic remedies.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:39 pm

The Italian supermarket seems perfectly well stocked, by the way. There was even the "English" sliced cheddar I use for sandwiches.

Meanwhile I was going to order more tea from the shop in Lincoln which I've been using for years, both in person and online, and (a) the prices have all of a sudden (compared to February) ~doubled (or rather they sell you half as much for the ~same price) and (b) my credit card wouldn't let me anyway.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:23 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:38 pm
veravista wrote:
I suggest a label/bottle swap, on the same principle as multiple "different" homeopathic remedies.
How would that work? They all have different smell, texture and colour.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:54 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:45 am
I think it's only USAians who need the name of their country in every product they buy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Leyland
The British Petroleum Company plc (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BP)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_O ... orporation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail
British Telecom (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Group)

and lots more.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:11 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:54 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:45 am
I think it's only USAians who need the name of their country in every product they buy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Leyland
The British Petroleum Company plc (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BP)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_O ... orporation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail
British Telecom (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Group)

and lots more.
And Americans using a hair product brand called "Aussie" would seem to counter BoaF's argument even further! ;)
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:12 am

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:23 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
veravista wrote:
If Mrs V does indeed recognise the products by those characteristics then fair enough. It would be interesting to see how many different varieties one person could memorise.

Blind testing of the results (i.e., "can you tell which shampoo you used by how your hair feels") would be the gold standard, of course.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:25 am

I've been surprised at how noticeable the difference is between different types of shampoo and conditioner, although I've been unable to do a blind test and it doesn't seem to be particularly correlated with cost.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:27 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:12 am
Tessa K wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:23 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:

If Mrs V does indeed recognise the products by those characteristics then fair enough. It would be interesting to see how many different varieties one person could memorise.

Blind testing of the results (i.e., "can you tell which shampoo you used by how your hair feels") would be the gold standard, of course.
I doubt she has consciously memorised the smells etc but, like me, would probably know that what she was using wasn't how she was expecting it to be. I probably wouldn't identify the smell of the Aussie products in a line-up but I certainly noticed recently when they changed the conditioner - both texture and smell.

If you were blind testing results it could take several washes to notice a difference in hair texture and feel depending how different the various products were.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:57 pm

"Have yourself a Brexit little Christmas"
Although I'd argue with this comment:
Walker said the shortfall in lorry drivers was not “an inevitable consequence” of post-Brexit EU immigration rules but a “self-inflicted wound” created by the “government’s failure to appreciate the importance of HGV drivers and the work they do for us”.
With this government, it was pretty much guaranteed that they weren't going to consider things like the importance of HGV drivers and how Brexit would impact on their numbers.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:04 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:57 pm
Walker said the shortfall in lorry drivers was not “an inevitable consequence” of post-Brexit EU immigration rules but a “self-inflicted wound” created by the “government’s failure to appreciate the importance of HGV drivers and the work they do for us”.
With this government, it was pretty much guaranteed that they weren't going to consider things like the importance of HGV drivers and how Brexit would impact on their numbers.
I can see his point, though. It's fixable, and a competent government wouldn't have allowed it to happen. It's not "an inevitable consequence" in the same way that, say, problems with NI imports have been.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:52 pm

UK retailers report lowest level of stock since 1983
Worker shortages, coupled with the effects of Covid-19 and Brexit, have left shelves empty across the industry.

[...]

Worker shortages, coupled with the effects of Covid-19 and Brexit, mean that major retailers’ stock levels are at their lowest since 1983 when compared to expected sales.

It marks the fifth consecutive month in which a record low has been reached in distribution sector stock levels. Within retail, the proportion of deliveries from suppliers accounted for by imports also fell sharply, owing to global supply chain disruption caused by the Covid-19 as well as transport worker shortages.
https://www.newstatesman.com/business/2 ... stock-1983

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:17 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:57 pm
They're right though. It wasn't an inevitable consequence of the rules, even if you think it was inevitable that our government would f.ck it up.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:59 pm

That's the thing - it wasn't inevitable, except it was.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:25 pm

But an inevitable consequence of the government being hopelessly useless c.nts, rather than an inevitable consequence of "post-Brexit EU immigration rules" per se, innit.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:37 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:25 pm
But an inevitable consequence of the government being hopelessly useless c.nts, rather than an inevitable consequence of "post-Brexit EU immigration rules" per se, innit.
Oh definitely, logically one doesn't have to be an inevitable consequence of the other.

Maybe it's just me, but given that Vote Leave and this government (and previous Tory government incarnation under May) were all hand-waving about how easy it'd all be against so many people saying how complicated and difficult it would be, I'm amazed that some people (including CEOs of companies which rely on a huge supply chain) couldn't see it a mile off.

Except it turns out the head honcho at Iceland was a Leave voter...

It's like one of those people who's described as "couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery" declaring they are going to organise the best ever piss-up in a brewery in the history of ever, but everyone has to give everything they've got for it to work. Against so many warnings this person couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery, it's decided to go ahead with allowing them to organise this amazing piss-up. It then turns out that, no everyone was right in the first place, they really can't organise a piss-up in a brewery... there's no piss-up and everyone is now worse off. Sure, if someone else, someone more competent had organised the piss-up, maybe it would really have been the best one ever in history.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:52 am

Sainsbury's own brand soya milk has been out of stock for a while so I got some Alpro instead. It's bl..dy disgusting and tastes like it has cheap vanilla in. And it's twice the price. I'll be getting it from Morrisons or Lidl for now. And that's not niche middle classness, I can't do dairy.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:42 pm

I wonder whether the shortages will alleviate or get worse over the next few months. If the latter the great British eating season may be a bit of an anticlimax.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:24 pm

It'll create a nice helpful siege mentality. The press are resolutely ignoring the issue.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:43 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:42 pm
I wonder whether the shortages will alleviate or get worse over the next few months. If the latter the great British eating season may be a bit of an anticlimax.
Oh no, the Great Brussell Sprout Drout looms!