Brexit Consequences

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Brexit Consequences

Post by shpalman » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:43 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:19 pm

Is that what's behind the sausage shortage? A lack of abattoir workers?

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:00 pm

Is it clear that worker shortages in the UK are a consequence of Brexit? There is lots of discussion of worker shortages in the US also, attributed to Covid in various ways that not everyone agrees about.

My usual take is that most of the time, a "worker shortage" isn't really about there being too few workers, but rather about employers failing to offer high enough pay and/or good enough working conditions.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:19 pm

bolo wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:00 pm
Is it clear that worker shortages in the UK are a consequence of Brexit?
Can you get sufficient supplies of staple foods in the US? We can in Spain. All my friends in the UK have complaints.
Then again, Brits are notorious moaners :D
Time for a big fat one.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:37 pm

Opti wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:19 pm
bolo wrote:
Can you get sufficient supplies of staple foods in the US? We can in Spain. All my friends in the UK have complaints.
I haven't noticed a problem with staple foods here, but there have been shortages of some other odd things like straws and cardboard boxes, and a lack of staff for restaurants and hotels has very visibly affected their service, e.g. reduced kitchen hours and substandard housekeeping.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:58 pm

bolo wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:37 pm
Opti wrote:
bolo wrote:
I haven't noticed a problem with staple foods here, but there have been shortages of some other odd things like straws and cardboard boxes, and a lack of staff for restaurants and hotels has very visibly affected their service, e.g. reduced kitchen hours and substandard housekeeping.
On supermarket stuff and after the hoarding period: IME, staples have been fine, but particular items seem to disappear for a bit and come back after a month or so. That's something that is occasionally going to happen, but it's been occurring more often for seemingly random products. There's normally an alternative too, so it's easy not to get too annoyed.

Covid has messed up supply chains everywhere as far as I can tell, and I am not sure why anyone would think the UK would be an exception to this. But it does seem to be worse in the UK than anywhere comparable which has the special case of Brexit. It doesn't look like an either/or situation to me, but a combination of the two.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:01 pm

Bwahahahahaha

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58348119

Harming, as in moving NI closer to Ireland.....

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:03 pm

bolo wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:37 pm
Opti wrote:
bolo wrote:
Your straw shortage is 'cos the Trump fans clutched at them all

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:54 pm

I wasn't sure a pub would count as a shop so I've not put this in the shortages thread: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... deliveries
The pub chain Wetherspoon’s is experiencing shortages of some beer brands, including Carling, Coors and Heineken, amid a Brexit-induced shortage of delivery drivers and industrial action.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:13 pm

GP surgeries in England cancel flu jabs amid vaccine shortage due to “unforeseen road freight challenges”.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:36 pm

The comments are great. Apparently everyone wants to pay more for food if it's in some nebulous way "better produced". Clearly the rise of discount supermarkets is being fuelled by some other kinds of pressure than economic.
Something something hammer something something nail

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:06 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:29 am

If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:14 am

Challenging Developments have resulted in Distribution Non-Conformities and the Unpreplanned Eventualities have Contextuallized the very immenent need for a Re-visionization of Infrastructure Requirements which currently lack the necessary Overflow Capacity to handle the unforeseen post brexit eventuallities

BUZZZZZ

"said Brexit"

"And with 23 second remaining on the clock, over to you Graham Garden"
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:32 am

I’ve moved the drug policy derail over to: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2726&p=93832#p93832

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:55 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:36 pm
The comments are great. Apparently everyone wants to pay more for food if it's in some nebulous way "better produced". Clearly the rise of discount supermarkets is being fuelled by some other kinds of pressure than economic.
Is the discount supermarkets stuff worse though?

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:57 pm

noggins wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:55 am
sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:36 pm
Is the discount supermarkets stuff worse though?
Not at all, in my experience. We do about half of our shopping in Lidl (and would do more if they delivered - we don't schlepp bottles of wine in bulk).
Something something hammer something something nail

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:33 am

Ive read that the discounters treat their suppliers better.
They negotiate hard, but then stick to the deal, while the regular lot will demand further discounts later.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:54 pm

Yeah, I don't see the relevance of discount supermarkets. They're not displacing anyone who treats their suppliers well.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 am

Good news everyone - water companies are now allowed to dump (even more) raw sewage into surface and groundwater!
Normally, you need a permit under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 to discharge treated effluent from a waste water treatment works (WwTW) to surface water or groundwater. Permits contain conditions that control the quality of the effluent you can discharge.

You may not be able to comply with your permit if you cannot get the chemicals you use to treat the effluent you discharge because of:

the UK’s new relationship with the EU
coronavirus (COVID-19)
other unavoidable supply chain failures, for example the failure of a treatment chemical supplier

If you follow the conditions in this regulatory position statement (RPS) you can discharge effluent without meeting the conditions in your permit.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... lure-rps-b

Brexit Britain is literally up sh.t creek.

Given that the government is deliberately liberalising water quality regs to allow water companies to dump more sh.t without getting caught and fined, I don't think I'm being overly cynical suggesting that the long-term intention is to grandfather this kind of relaxation into permanent regs.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:12 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 am
Good news everyone - water companies are now allowed to dump (even more) raw sewage into surface and groundwater!
Normally, you need a permit under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 to discharge treated effluent from a waste water treatment works (WwTW) to surface water or groundwater. Permits contain conditions that control the quality of the effluent you can discharge.

You may not be able to comply with your permit if you cannot get the chemicals you use to treat the effluent you discharge because of:

coronavirus (COVID-19)
other unavoidable supply chain failures, for example the failure of a treatment chemical supplier

If you follow the conditions in this regulatory position statement (RPS) you can discharge effluent without meeting the conditions in your permit.

Given that the government is deliberately liberalising water quality regs to allow water companies to dump more sh.t without getting caught and fined, I don't think I'm being overly cynical suggesting that the long-term intention is to grandfather this kind of relaxation into permanent regs.
Brexit nobbers repeatedly cited the 'water directive' as a prime example of the EU's overreach and ridiculous red tape in the per-referendum period, so I'm not at all surprised to see UK citizens' protections being torn up like this

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:35 pm

tom p wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:12 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 am

coronavirus (COVID-19)

Brexit nobbers repeatedly cited the 'water directive' as a prime example of the EU's overreach and ridiculous red tape in the per-referendum period, so I'm not at all surprised to see UK citizens' protections being torn up like this
Hence the famous side-of-the-bus slogan:-
“EU Membership lets you go to sunny places on holiday, cheaply and easily; let’s stay at home and sh.t in our drinking water instead!”.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:59 am

hahahahahaha