Male violence and harassment of women

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Fishnut » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:56 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:07 pm
"Male violence against women should be treated as of the same order as other ideologically motivated violence against a class of people: as terrorism."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... met-police
Another good piece that's ruined by unnecessary and illogical transphobia.
Male politicians apparently feel empowered to carelessly advocate for the end of the single-sex safe spaces that are protected by the Equality Act without acknowledging the consequences for women traumatised by male violence.
This is a gross misrepresentation of what Ed Davey said and I am disgusted that two pieces published in the Guardian/Observer today have used Sarah Everard's murder at the hands of a cis man to promote transphobic talking points.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:05 pm

While I agree with everything you've said on this thread Fishnut, there's a lot more that could be said. For example rethinking some past views on safe spaces away from male violence and harassment. I don't believe you'd still state that women traumatised by male violence should be educated about inclusion instead of provided with a women only space.

I think a rereading of those Guardian articles would show the concern is cis male violence, not fear of trans people, and neither article is transphobic in their concerns over cis male violence and harassment. Both are 100% clear about where the violent threat to women, trans people and minorities comes from - the minority of men who attack directly or condone indirectly. This particular case is one of many showing the extreme lengths predatory men will go to in order to improve their chances of assaulting and raping women and girls, along with lesser harassment or indecent exposure, and the active support they receive from other men. I agree completely with the calls to understand the fears and experiences of women and surely none of us should start deeming some fears unacceptable?

And I don't think we can stay silent about men using sex workers for their violent abuse or exploiting women via violent p.rnography. Men like this murderer purchase the right to abuse long before they kill on the streets. Anyone concerned about indecent exposure being a gateway drug to violence should be much more concerned about the violence of the sex industry being a more direct gateway. Violent men see the passive or active acceptance by other men (and women) of sex industry abuse and are encouraged and feel normalised. Remaining silent and hoping the problem goes away isn't the answer.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Metropolitan police officer charged with rape

Very little info available as it's breaking news, but it sounds like they're from the Met’s Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command, which is the same department as Couzens. I have no idea if this was a recent rape or a historical one they're now investigating in light of Couzens' sentencing.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:31 am

Fishnut wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Very little info available as it's breaking news, but it sounds like they're from the Met’s Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command, which is the same department as Couzens. I have no idea if this was a recent rape or a historical one they're now investigating in light of Couzens' sentencing.
For an event in September 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... tfordshire
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:33 am

jimbob wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:31 am
Fishnut wrote:

And Cressida Dick is of course 'deeply concerned'.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:18 am

jimbob wrote:
Fishnut wrote:

That's very bad.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:45 am

jimbob wrote:
Fishnut wrote:

Another one bad apple. Even a small child could figure out that we're well above "one" by now.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:01 am

bagpuss wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:45 am
jimbob wrote:
Fishnut wrote:

Another one bad apple. Even a small child could figure out that we're well above "one" by now.
What's most concerning are reports of private WhatsApp groups and so the prospect that they've been encouraging each other (either directly or by supporting misogynistic attitudes about rape or sexual assault).

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:12 am

I really want to know if David Carrick was accused of rape at the time and no-one bothered to investigate, or if the victim came forward in light of the attention the Sarah Everard case has put on the Met. I suspect we won't find out any details until after criminal proceedings are completed but I'm going to make a prediction here that the case was reported at the time but not investigated.

Have we had this story yet? [excuse the Daily Mail link, but they're the ones who broke the story].
Ms Kimberley said a WhatsApp group was created by the team members so 'we could keep in touch and assist each other with any problems that arose'... 'As soon as I left [my role with the police], I noticed that the language and images being shared within the group began to become graphic, sexual and derogatory towards women,' she told the tribunal.'

She claims her male colleagues were aware she was still in the group but 'they continued to publish statements, images and videos which were negative towards or about women' - up to 20 messages a day...

Ms Kimberley said she wrote to Cressida Dick in March this year about the 'vulgar and sexist comments that were circulating on the WhatsApp group that one of the contractors (an ex senior officer) has put in place...'

But she said: 'I sent it recorded delivery. I never got a reply. I also wrote to the Home Secretary Priti Patel but did not get a response. It has cost them an awful lot of money to defend this case and they tried to discredit me.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:03 pm

lpm wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:05 pm
While I agree with everything you've said on this thread Fishnut, there's a lot more that could be said. For example rethinking some past views on safe spaces away from male violence and harassment. I don't believe you'd still state that women traumatised by male violence should be educated about inclusion instead of provided with a women only space.

I think a rereading of those Guardian articles would show the concern is cis male violence, not fear of trans people, and neither article is transphobic in their concerns over cis male violence and harassment. Both are 100% clear about where the violent threat to women, trans people and minorities comes from - the minority of men who attack directly or condone indirectly. This particular case is one of many showing the extreme lengths predatory men will go to in order to improve their chances of assaulting and raping women and girls, along with lesser harassment or indecent exposure, and the active support they receive from other men. I agree completely with the calls to understand the fears and experiences of women and surely none of us should start deeming some fears unacceptable?

And I don't think we can stay silent about men using sex workers for their violent abuse or exploiting women via violent p.rnography. Men like this murderer purchase the right to abuse long before they kill on the streets. Anyone concerned about indecent exposure being a gateway drug to violence should be much more concerned about the violence of the sex industry being a more direct gateway. Violent men see the passive or active acceptance by other men (and women) of sex industry abuse and are encouraged and feel normalised. Remaining silent and hoping the problem goes away isn't the answer.

This. I'm not the most eloquent in expressing my views and I don't wish to offend.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:13 pm

"I really want to know if David Carrick was accused of rape at the time and no-one bothered to investigate, or if the victim came forward in light of the attention the Sarah Everard case has put on the Met. I suspect we won't find out any details until after criminal proceedings are completed but I'm going to make a prediction here that the case was reported at the time but not investigated."

It's an ongoing investigation. This from the CPS

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has a right to a fair trial.

“It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:19 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:13 pm
"I really want to know if David Carrick was accused of rape at the time and no-one bothered to investigate, or if the victim came forward in light of the attention the Sarah Everard case has put on the Met. I suspect we won't find out any details until after criminal proceedings are completed but I'm going to make a prediction here that the case was reported at the time but not investigated."

It's an ongoing investigation. This from the CPS

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has a right to a fair trial.

“It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”
Yes, that's why I said that I don't think we'll find out any details until the criminal proceedings are completed.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:20 pm

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:22 pm

I wouldn't comment on it.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:28 pm

lpm wrote:

Yup that makes sense. Especially from what you have previously posted about the non-consensual nature of a lot of the manufacture of p.rnography
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:08 pm

lpm wrote:

I don't believe I've advocated for the removal of women-only spaces, particularly not for traumatised women. What I have stated, and continue to state, is that those spaces should accept trans women, which they already do and have done for years without issue.

I have re-read the Guardian articles and I see very clear transphobic dog-whistles in their concern over single-sex spaces being violated by cis men.

The Observer editorial stated that,
Male politicians apparently feel empowered to carelessly advocate for the end of the single-sex safe spaces that are protected by the Equality Act without acknowledging the consequences for women traumatised by male violence.
Male politicians are not advocating for the end of single-sex spaces, they - along with many women - are saying that all women should have access to women-only spaces, not just a subset. The fact the piece highlights that men rather than the women are doing this advocacy is because there is a trope in transphobic circles that only men are advocating for trans women to have access to women-only spaces while women want trans women to be excluded. This is despite the fact that as of last year (the most recent year I can get figures) women were significantly more supportive of trans people being able to self-identify than men.

The Catherine Bennett piece stated that,
These single-sex spaces – from refuges to hospital wards and rest rooms – historically protected women by excluding men where women were particularly vulnerable. #Notallmen, of course, but that’s safeguarding. “Preventative measures,” as Professor Kathleen Stock writes in Material Girls, “are usually by necessity broad-brush. They aren’t supposed to be a character reference for a group as a whole.”

But there are now questions about their survival, partly because of their increasing, arbitrary replacement by gender-neutral spaces, partly because of possible changes to gender-recognition law. These could, as an unintended consequence, leave women – both trans and not – with almost nowhere they don’t have to glance over their shoulders. As Alessandra Asteriti and Rebecca Bull argued in Modern Law Review: “Opening spaces to those who self-declare their sex and who are perceived as males” will “embolden male opportunists to enter single-sex spaces, reducing their risk-mitigation role”.

But public debate has been minimal. Not least because some of the same people who, unsatisfied by “bad apple” excuses, demand to know what safeguards prevent the police from harbouring another Couzens, will also scorn any questions about what, in future, could prevent the same sort of opportunist from appearing in women-only changing rooms. The implications of everyday harassment, along with the data on male violence and killings such as Everard’s and Sabina Nessa’s, are liable to be ridiculed in this different context as invented “bathroom bogeymen”.
Refuges are, have been and continue to be women-only spaces. I can find nothing that suggests that there are mixed-sex refuges in the UK, though I'm happy to be corrected.

Hospital wards may well be more mixed-sex than they have in the past (in 2011 they were "the norm"). I can't find any recent figures but this piece from 2017 says the number of people on mixed-sex wards has "soared" due to "a lack of available beds" and given the chronic underfunding faced by the NHS and increased patient demand due to covid I suspect those figures have only got worse. That has nothing to do with a desire to provide "gender-neutral spaces".

The problem with "rest rooms" (I'm guessing she means toilets) isn't that they're now all gender-neutral, it's that they're impossible to find. Cuts to funding have meant that many public toilets have closed, leaving people unable to leave home for significant periods of time. The Guardian reported last year that,
...readers across Britain have described their anxiety, distress and frustration as public toilet closures – coupled with the absence of alternatives in bars, restaurants and public buildings – curtails their daily movements.

This is especially the case for women, who are taking extreme measures such as deliberately dehydrating themselves or find they are confined to home during their period. A pregnant woman from London told how she developed a urinary tract infection after being unable to find a toilet on a trip to Hyde Park. For those with health conditions and disabilities that bring continence problems, the situation is even worse: some describe themselves as essentially housebound. Key workers and volunteers making lengthy round trips to deliver essentials are likewise affected.
These spaces have always been open to people who "self-declare" their sex, and public 'women-only' spaces are accessible by men already. How many toilets have a sign saying that there are male attendants on duty? What's easier for a man to do - dress up as a woman and pretend he's female or buy a pair of overalls and say he's the cleaner? Or even just walk in claiming the men's toilets are broken? Men are allowed in women's toilets, just as women are allowed in men's - it's only social convention that keeps us to "our" side and can often be broken - I'm not the only woman who's used the empty gents because the line for the ladies has been ridiculously long. What is, has always been, and always will be illegal is to commit a crime in those toilets. Whether you're a woman or a man, if you assault someone then you can and should be prosecuted.

What is striking to me is how the threats to these women-only spaces, in contrast to the arguments given by the articles, do not come from cis men trying to enter them under false pretences to commit crimes but come instead from under-funding. Refuges for both men and women are chronically underfunded, a situation which is only getting worse,
More than one in five refuge services running in November 2020, were not funded by their local authority, and most of those that were saw a real-terms cut in their funding last year.

Sixty out of 269 refuge services were surviving on emergency government funding pots, charitable grants, trusts and other fundraising activities, according to a new report published by Women’s Aid...

There were 269 refuge services with a total of 4,251 refuge spaces available in England on 1 November 2020.

There was a 24.5% shortfall in the number of refuge spaces that should be available and without the non-commissioned spaces, the existing shortfall would increase to 42.5%...

Specialist ‘by and for’ domestic abuse services for Black and minoritised women “have been disproportionately impacted by cuts and competitive tendering processes”... A much higher percentage, 57.5% (146 out of 254), of spaces in these services were provided by non-commissioned refuge services, compared to an overall 18.5%.
What is so frustrating with these complaints that we're losing single-sexed spaces is that the blame is being placed in the wrong place. The GRA reform is not to blame (not least because you don't need a GRC to access these spaces anyway) - lack of funding is. If we had more domestic abuse shelters then we could have specialist shelters for all different people. Domestic abuse in same-sex relationships is a real problem yet there's no specialist domestic abuse refuges for lesbian women or gay men to use. Trans women are more than twice as likely to experience domestic abuse as cis women yet there are no specialist services catering to them. "More than one in ten LGBT people (11 per cent) have faced domestic abuse from a partner in the last year. This increases to 17 per cent of black, Asian and minority ethnic LGBT people" according to this report from 2018 yet, again, there are no specialist services available to these victims.

If we improved funding to the NHS, to refuges, to public facilities, then there could be gender-specific services for everyone, however they identify. But even if that happened, people like Couzens would still be a threat because we need to address the culture of misogyny that permeates society and draws people like him to positions of power and influence. Couzens could easily have got a job as a bathroom attendant and had access to women literally with their knickers down every day. But he didn't, because there's no status as a bathroom attendant and no accompanying protection. The first woman who reported him perving on them would likely result in him being fired. Instead he chose a position that afforded him power and status that could be used to protect him to the extent that he could abduct a woman in full view of witnesses and no-one - not the witnesses, not the victim - thought that anything untoward was happening. He used his official warrant card to convince her he was legitimate. He used his official handcuffs to restrain her. And he used his official belt to strangle her to death. No amount of safe spaces can protect us against that and focusing on them rather than the systems and culture that allowed a man like Couzens to attain and retain a position from which he could think he could literally get away with murder is a distraction.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:27 pm

+1 to fishnut, nothing to add really.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:42 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:27 pm
+1 to fishnut, nothing to add really.
And +1 from me too.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:56 pm

EPD doesn't want us to discuss trans issues here. But much of this thread, probably most of it, is about the fear of male violence and harassment, and what men can do to reduce that fear. I agree with everything you say about the reality of the risks, determined by statistics. But that doesn't address fears. A significant part of why self-ID reforms were abandoned was because fears were continually ignored.

Murder of women isn't going to be ended any time soon, but as we all know the real risk comes from stepping inside your front door rather than stepping outside. But women are also constrained in everything they do outside because of legitimate fears. There's no way to hide behind statistics and analyses that show you're safer from male violence on a late night train than inside your own home, because it's not about that. It's about how men continue to control public spaces and women have to adapt or retreat.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:02 pm

The whole point is that you don't need a GRC to access safe spaces and that cis men, who are abusive, will do anything to exploit this and all to the detriment of anyone who stands in their way, including those who need help.

Men intent on murder and serious abuse will do anything to breach these safe spaces. I know of a case where, for the price of a pint to find her safe address, the day he was released from prison for a previous serious assault against her, he set off to knife his wife to death, and seriously injure his eldest son, who tried desperately to protect his mother.

Sarah Everard was arrested by a man who presented himself as an undercover cop on Covid patrol, when this wasn't his remit as a PC in the Met. He masqueraded in order to entrap and murder.

This post is not transphobic, in fact it's safeguarding all LGBT+ people; and to challenge my thinking on this is to actually remove the safeguarding for them.

No one is a subset. Sex is important in this. Sarah's murderer knew exactly her sex.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:12 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:02 pm
The whole point is that you don't need a GRC to access safe spaces and that cis men, who are abusive, will do anything to exploit this and all to the detriment of anyone who stands in their way, including those who need help.

Men intent on murder and serious abuse will do anything to breach these safe spaces. I know of a case where, for the price of a pint to find her safe address, the day he was released from prison for a previous serious assault against her, he set off to knife his wife to death, and seriously injure his eldest son, who tried desperately to protect his mother.

Sarah Everard was arrested by a man who presented himself as an undercover cop on Covid patrol, when this wasn't his remit as a PC in the Met. He masqueraded in order to entrap and murder.

This post is not transphobic, in fact it's safeguarding all LGBT+ people; and to challenge my thinking on this is to actually remove the safeguarding for them.

No one is a subset. Sex is important in this. Sarah's murderer knew exactly her sex.
But men who want to attack women will enter those spaces anyway. They do not need to pretend to be trans to do so. The ladies sign on the door does not possess magical protection to repel men from the entrance.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:12 pm

purplehaze wrote:
We currently do not need GRCs to access safe spaces. Show me evidence that this is allowing men to enter those spaces in order to abuse women and then we can have a discussion.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:14 pm

Deleted because I don't want to sidetrack this thread

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:22 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:12 pm
purplehaze wrote:
We currently do not need GRCs to access safe spaces. Show me evidence that this is allowing men to enter those spaces in order to abuse women and then we can have a discussion.
Well there's women's prison estate for a start.

Women's estate is the most vulnerable.

But I agree Fishnut this is side lining. And no one talked about the 'ladies' sign on the door.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:24 pm

I propose that the title of this thread should be cis male violence and harassment of women.