Facebook is terrible

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
temptar
Fuzzable

Re: Facebook is terrible

Post by temptar » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:26 pm

dyqik wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:14 pm
The current story is that Facebook employees can't get into the server rooms, because the LDAP server that controls access to the room is down.
Oh dear.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:51 pm

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:58 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:26 pm
Facebook has been a whole lot less terrible for getting on for four hours now. :lol:
Reddit has become very smug

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:01 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:51 pm
It's rarely a broken open source project that causes this stuff in massive tech companies. It's usually the tiny configuration change somebody pushed just before going home.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:11 pm

temptar wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:26 pm
dyqik wrote:
The current story is that Facebook employees can't get into the server rooms, because the LDAP server that controls access to the room is down.
Oh dear.
Something something hammer something something nail

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:32 pm

Fixed now

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:38 pm

Fixed now (thought I'd better offer a more credible source*)

*check my sig
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:39 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:58 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:26 pm
Facebook has been a whole lot less terrible for getting on for four hours now. :lol:
Reddit has become very smug
Yes, but has it done anything today?

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:51 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:38 pm

*check my sig
you're really not a more credible source for this, lol

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:15 am

sheldrake wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:51 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:38 pm

*check my sig
you're really not a more credible source for this, lol
ask the users sunshine; we've seen your other posts.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 am

dyqik wrote:
https://twitter.com/cullend/status/1445 ... 62848?s=19
Lmao. Friend at Facebook confirmed they ended up bringing in a guy with an angle grinder to get access to the server cage
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:14 am

shpalman wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 am
dyqik wrote:
Lmao. Friend at Facebook confirmed they ended up bringing in a guy with an angle grinder to get access to the server cage
One of the replies:
"Sure, you can get someone else to come in and do it for $500. That'll probably take at least 15 minutes. I can do it right now for a mere $50 million, which is certainly cheaper than another 15 minutes of outage."

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:21 am

Revenue is roughly $10 million per hour. Don't believe everything you read on twitter.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:37 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:14 am
shpalman wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 am
dyqik wrote:
One of the replies:
"Sure, you can get someone else to come in and do it for $500. That'll probably take at least 15 minutes. I can do it right now for a mere $50 million, which is certainly cheaper than another 15 minutes of outage."
That seems to be a somewhat hyperbolic exaggeration, based on later tweets. But I'm guessing they had called a guy with an angle grinder before they realized that the high security lock had been installed with the screws on the outside.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:03 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:21 pm
... for people to discuss some of the sh.tty stuff Facebook get up to...
I can't believe an international behemoth like Facebook would stoop to the fake neighbour mailshot advertising they just sent me, nextdoor.co.uk being part of fakebook.

It comprised a letter through my letterbox, in a plain envelope with a 2nd class stamp physically stuck on it, no return address nor corporate details. The letter was very home-made looking, apparently being circulated to our whole road, from one of its residents "Philippa" at "The Retreat". Again no kind of identification details of the sender. It urged us to join the local branch of a localised forum called nextdoor.co.uk. It wasn't quite so naff as to have one of those fake handwritten signatures, which are an immediate giveaway. Though sending it through the mail rather than hand-delivering was a warning sign. Needless to say, there is no "The Retreat" on our road, nor any of its small tributaries.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:37 pm

IvanV wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:03 pm
Stephanie wrote:
I can't believe an international behemoth like Facebook would stoop to the fake neighbour mailshot advertising they just sent me, nextdoor.co.uk being part of fakebook.

It comprised a letter through my letterbox, in a plain envelope with a 2nd class stamp physically stuck on it, no return address nor corporate details. The letter was very home-made looking, apparently being circulated to our whole road, from one of its residents "Philippa" at "The Retreat". Again no kind of identification details of the sender. It urged us to join the local branch of a localised forum called nextdoor.co.uk. It wasn't quite so naff as to have one of those fake handwritten signatures, which are an immediate giveaway. Though sending it through the mail rather than hand-delivering was a warning sign. Needless to say, there is no "The Retreat" on our road, nor any of its small tributaries.
I often get junk mail that's made to look like a personal letter (at least from the outside, and if you only glance at it), so I assume that sort of thing is common in the US, which may be influencing that. They mostly come from the large insurance companies (I like to check who has my address, so they get opened).

Nextdoor was bobbins for me a few years ago. Started out fine, it was handy for finding useful stuff people wanted rid off and a bit of local gossip or whatever, but quite quickly devolved into just curtain twitchers worried about people walking past their house (I will let you guess the typical race of the pedestrian). I got into a few arguments about that then left.

(Apologies if this is derailing)

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:46 pm

IvanV wrote:
Stephanie wrote:

I also got one of these this week.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:40 pm

I signed up to Nextdoor a few years ago and promptly forgot my password. I tried logging in earlier this year as my neighbour said about it but every time I've tried to reset the password, it says it's sent an email to me with instructions but never receive it. Dunno what's going on.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:06 pm

IvanV wrote:
Stephanie wrote:

Are they?

I can only find that they're part of this https://www.mediagistic.com/blog/nextdo ... ce-network
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:09 pm

Audience Network is for people who want to earn money from showing Facebook Ads in their mobile apps. This nextdoor thing is not owned by Facebook and Facebook would have nothing to do with the mailshot.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:24 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:06 pm
Are they?

I can only find that they're part of this https://www.mediagistic.com/blog/nextdo ... ce-network
Sorry, that's me seeing "part of Facebook blah blah" and getting the wrong end of the chair leg in the plastic bag. Apologies. Another disgraceful bastard, not the disgraceful bastard of present interest.