Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
User avatar
shpalman
After Pie
Posts: 1977
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by shpalman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:37 pm

molto tricky

plodder
Catbabel
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by plodder » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:10 am

don’t be so gloomy. here’s the content you need:

https://mobile.twitter.com/starstricken ... 3606515712

cvb
Clardic Fug
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:15 am

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by cvb » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:31 am

plodder wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:10 am
don’t be so gloomy. here’s the content you need:

https://mobile.twitter.com/starstricken ... 3606515712
That's cool. Thanks for the link.

User avatar
tenchboy
Snowbonk
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Location: Down amongst the potamogeton.

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by tenchboy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:42 am

cvb wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:31 am
plodder wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:10 am
don’t be so gloomy. here’s the content you need:

https://mobile.twitter.com/starstricken ... 3606515712
That's cool. Thanks for the link.
The one a few below 'of the moon making an appearance on our satelite images of the sun' reminds me of...
Spoiler:

AMS
Fuzzable
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by AMS » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:18 pm

Dust, apparently, and originating from the star itself. (Someone tell Philip Pullman.)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... betelgeuse

Is it normal for star to kick out enough dust to hide it from view?

User avatar
Martin Y
Dorkwood
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by Martin Y » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:49 pm

I didn't follow that twitter link till now and I wonder if I misconstrued its talking about convection cells and starspots: is it actually possible to resolve any features at all of an object (even Betelgeuse-sized) 200 parsecs away? That seems impossible but I do keep finding myself having to recalibrate my boundaries of the possible.

User avatar
JQH
Catbabel
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
Location: Sar Flandan

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by JQH » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:01 pm

And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

User avatar
Gfamily
After Pie
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by Gfamily » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:03 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:49 pm
I didn't follow that twitter link till now and I wonder if I misconstrued its talking about convection cells and starspots: is it actually possible to resolve any features at all of an object (even Betelgeuse-sized) 200 parsecs away? That seems impossible but I do keep finding myself having to recalibrate my boundaries of the possible.
Betelgeuse was resolved as a disc using optical interferometry as early as the 1930's I think.

ETA 1920 apparently
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
Martin Y
Dorkwood
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by Martin Y » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:13 pm

Thanks. <recalibrates>

User avatar
dyqik
After Pie
Posts: 2444
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by dyqik » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:36 pm

AMS wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:18 pm
Dust, apparently, and originating from the star itself. (Someone tell Philip Pullman.)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... betelgeuse

Is it normal for star to kick out enough dust to hide it from view?
Whole galaxies do it sometimes.

User avatar
dyqik
After Pie
Posts: 2444
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by dyqik » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:38 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:03 pm
Martin Y wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:49 pm
I didn't follow that twitter link till now and I wonder if I misconstrued its talking about convection cells and starspots: is it actually possible to resolve any features at all of an object (even Betelgeuse-sized) 200 parsecs away? That seems impossible but I do keep finding myself having to recalibrate my boundaries of the possible.
Betelgeuse was resolved as a disc using optical interferometry as early as the 1930's I think.

ETA 1920 apparently
Here's an image from December.
200214112231-betelgeuse-dec-2019-super-169.jpg
200214112231-betelgeuse-dec-2019-super-169.jpg (12.92 KiB) Viewed 352 times

User avatar
dyqik
After Pie
Posts: 2444
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by dyqik » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:42 pm

Betelgeuse is 55 milli arcseconds in apparent diameter.

The EHT observations of M87 and SgrA* have an angular resolution of 25 micro arcseconds, so could theoretically put 2000 pixels across Betelgeuse.

Unfortunately stars are really boring to look at in the submm-wave continuum. We get far more information from spectral line observations that don't fully resolve the disk of the star.

User avatar
Martin Y
Dorkwood
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: Is Betelgeuse About to go Supernovae?

Post by Martin Y » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:47 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:42 pm
Betelgeuse is 55 milli arcseconds in apparent diameter.
I caught myself thinking "I know it's enormously bigger than the sun but 55mas at 200 parsecs; that would make Betelgeuse several times bigger than the entire orbit of the earth and... Oh. Wait. It is." Got the nagging feeling this was all familiar when I was young and I've got stupid. Guess I just haven't thought about in ages.

Post Reply