Post your best efforts
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Re: Recursive drawings of recursive drawings of recursive drawings of

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:56 pm

Indeed, an excellent tool.

Spoiler:
Last edited by El Pollo Diablo on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sorry to be a dick, but I opened this thread as someone was walking behind me at work. I think the pic is just about nsfw, soz.
Something something hammer something something nail

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:09 pm

Now do XKCD 95

Stupidosaurus
Buzzberry

Post by Stupidosaurus » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:38 am

Recent Scrutable joiner here, used to be a longtime lurker at badscience forum. Five minutes in and I've already found something awesome. I've missed you folks...

Stupidosaurus
Buzzberry

Post by Stupidosaurus » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:35 pm

How the heck do I upload images in a message? There's an image button but it just puts in bracket things. Have checked FAQs...

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Stupidosaurus wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:35 pm
How the heck do I upload images in a message? There's an image button but it just puts in bracket things. Have checked FAQs...
You want the Attachments tab below the reply box.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:01 am

hello stupidosaurus. are you fluffy or smooth?

Stupidosaurus
Buzzberry

Post by Stupidosaurus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:52 am

I have a smooth top and fluffy sides!

Stupidosaurus
Buzzberry

Post by Stupidosaurus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:57 am

Viruses! (slight cheat due to PowerPoint image filter to make it prettier)
Attachments
Recursivedrawing_virus sea2_80pc.png
Recursivedrawing_virus sea2_80pc.png (557.03 KiB) Viewed 4796 times

Stupidosaurus
Buzzberry

Post by Stupidosaurus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:00 am

Also a bog-standard tree thing.
Attachments
Recursivedrawing_tree.png
Recursivedrawing_tree.png (153.86 KiB) Viewed 4795 times

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:47 am

Stupidosaurus wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:00 am
Hi Stupidosaurus!

I'm not sure this is a 'bog standard tree thing', though. I think it is a quite unusual tree (or stream pattern, or blood vessels, or lightning path, or lung branching etc. etc.) because, other than a few branches which just stop, I think the bifurcation ratio is close to 2*, and the 'distance to next branching' is generally the same after each branch point. I don't think it's an impossible tree, I wouldn't be surprised if there were real examples, but I think many trees have higher bifurcation ratios, and unequal branching.

*happy for any geologists to correct me

jaap
Catbabel

Post by jaap » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:47 am
Stupidosaurus wrote:
Hi Stupidosaurus!

I'm not sure this is a 'bog standard tree thing', though. I think it is a quite unusual tree (or stream pattern, or blood vessels, or lightning path, or lung branching etc. etc.) because, other than a few branches which just stop, I think the bifurcation ratio is close to 2*, and the 'distance to next branching' is generally the same after each branch point. I don't think it's an impossible tree, I wouldn't be surprised if there were real examples, but I think many trees have higher bifurcation ratios, and unequal branching.

I'm sure Stupidosaurus did not mean it was like a bogstandard real tree, but more that it was a bogstandard example of a Tree Fractal. It may be bogstandard, but it still looks awesome.

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:20 pm

jaap wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:24 pm
Allo V Psycho wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:47 am
Stupidosaurus wrote:
Hi Stupidosaurus!

I'm sure Stupidosaurus did not mean it was like a bogstandard real tree, but more that it was a bogstandard example of a Tree Fractal. It may be bogstandard, but it still looks awesome.
I agree about the awesomeness: those branching patterns just do something pleasurable to my brain! I was writing my reply with Peter Stevens' Patterns in Nature open beside me:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/403 ... -in-nature
Stupidosaurus, you might like that, if you haven't come across it before?

Stupidosaurus
Buzzberry

Post by Stupidosaurus » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks Allo/Jaap. I was going for 'bog standard' as in 'a standard bifurcating tree' although, looking at it, not all the branches are the same. I couldn't find any way of saving the drawing meta-info (which bits were combined with which) so I'm not even sure I could replicate it. I fell in love with fractals when James Gleick's 'Chaos' book came out, I actually wrote some random-rule point-by-point fractal programs on a Sinclair Spectrum which took about 12 hours to render a grainy image (that should date me) and also bothered some post-grads I knew, who add access to 'real' computers/printers, to print out Julia sets and the like, which I adorned my undergrad room walls with. Hence, interest in the recursive drawing tool. I'll have a look at the book suggestion, though we are short on shelf space and pretty pictures might not work on a Kindle.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:31 pm

Stupidosaurus wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:57 pm
Thanks Allo/Jaap. I was going for 'bog standard' as in 'a standard bifurcating tree' although, looking at it, not all the branches are the same. I couldn't find any way of saving the drawing meta-info (which bits were combined with which) so I'm not even sure I could replicate it. I fell in love with fractals when James Gleick's 'Chaos' book came out, I actually wrote some random-rule point-by-point fractal programs on a Sinclair Spectrum which took about 12 hours to render a grainy image (that should date me) and also bothered some post-grads I knew, who add access to 'real' computers/printers, to print out Julia sets and the like, which I adorned my undergrad room walls with. Hence, interest in the recursive drawing tool. I'll have a look at the book suggestion, though we are short on shelf space and pretty pictures might not work on a Kindle.
I played with my own Julia Set generator (on a Sinclair QL) back in the day, including the step of plotting the JS coordinates onto the Mandelbrot set.

I discovered for myself how the periodicity of the JS relates to its position on the Mandelbrot set. It wasn't a first discovery, but it was very satisfying.
Mandelbrot and Julia.JPG
Mandelbrot and Julia.JPG (59.05 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
The discovery was that the 'bulb' where 3 period sets exist is between the bulbs where 1 period and 2 periods exist
Similarly, the bulb for 5 period sets is between the bulbs for 2 periods and 3 periods
7 periods are between the bulbs for 2 periods and 5 periods and also between 3 periods and 4 periods.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:51 pm

I immediately thought "Peitgen and Richter" and now I wonder if I can possibly have remembered the names accurately, decades later? Anyway, it was a coffee table book called "The Beauty of Fractals" published in the mid to late 80s. One of the articles therein called the Mandelbrot set an encyclopedia of the Julia sets, and that's what you discovered.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Stupidosaurus
Buzzberry

Post by Stupidosaurus » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:50 pm

Here's the 'Barnsley Fern' fractal drawn in Excel using a 'random rule' transformation of a starting x,y position.
Barnsley Fern in Excel.png
Barnsley Fern in Excel.png (347.45 KiB) Viewed 4637 times

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:56 pm

basementer wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:51 pm
I immediately thought "Peitgen and Richter" and now I wonder if I can possibly have remembered the names accurately, decades later? Anyway, it was a coffee table book called "The Beauty of Fractals" published in the mid to late 80s. One of the articles therein called the Mandelbrot set an encyclopedia of the Julia sets, and that's what you discovered.
I knew about the Mandelbrot Set being the map of Julia Sets; rather, my discovery was the mapping to periodicity.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:23 pm

Stupidosaurus wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:50 pm
Here's the 'Barnsley Fern' fractal drawn in Excel using a 'random rule' transformation of a starting x,y position.Barnsley Fern in Excel.png
Ah, I remember when Byte magazine (anyone else remember that?) published a recursive fern drawing piece of Postscript code - I manage to lock up a Dec laser printer for about ten minutes printing a fern about 1.5" long. Get away with by claiming it was a test - I was system admin at the time. ;)
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:50 pm

Aitch wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:23 pm
Stupidosaurus wrote:
Here's the 'Barnsley Fern' fractal drawn in Excel using a 'random rule' transformation of a starting x,y position.Barnsley Fern in Excel.png
Ah, I remember when Byte magazine (anyone else remember that?) published a recursive fern drawing piece of Postscript code - I manage to lock up a Dec laser printer for about ten minutes printing a fern about 1.5" long. Get away with by claiming it was a test - I was system admin at the time. ;)
A former, and older, colleague once implemented a whole bunch of radio-astronomy data analysis algorithms in Postscript, as the easiest powerful processor to get access to and tie up for a while was the group printer.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:50 am

dyqik wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:50 pm

A former, and older, colleague once implemented a whole bunch of radio-astronomy data analysis algorithms in Postscript, as the easiest powerful processor to get access to and tie up for a while was the group printer.
A hat tip for that hack.

I think the original Apple LaserWriter had a more powerful processor than any of the available Macintoshes at the time of its introduction. (Just checked - I see Wikipedia agrees).

MartinDurkin
Clardic Fug

Post by MartinDurkin » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:25 am

dyqik wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:50 pm
Aitch wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:23 pm
Stupidosaurus wrote:
Just curious, is that anything to do with PostScript's similarity to Forth and Forth being used by radio astronomers back in the 70's?