COVID-19

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
shpalman
Princess POW

Re: COVID-19

Post by shpalman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:05 pm

To be clear, of course I don't know why he said that. He may have seen the data for the 16th in which there were only 152 new cases and imagined it was slowing down. There's a doubling time of about 3 days.

If Italy's exponential is actually slowing down thanks to all the restrictive measures (which are going to be extended through April, but aren't restrictive enough according to the Chinese personnel who have come here to help) then maybe there will "only" be a total of about 7000 deaths here, as compared to just over 3000 in Hubei.

No new cases in Wuhan today apparently.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:07 pm

hakwright wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:45 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:34 am
Anyone able to point me toward evidence of the length of time someone will be infectious before they are aware of any symptoms?

Quite literally asking for a friend.
From the recent Imperial college paper:
"Infectiousness is assumed to occur from 12 hours prior to the onset of symptoms for those that are symptomatic and from 4.6 days after infection in
those that are asymptomatic"

Not necessarily the definitive word (references in the paper may well provide source for those assumptions), but probably a good bet.

Howard
Thanks for that.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:11 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:15 pm
COVID-19 challenge!

How many seconds of this can you bear to watch? I can get about 5 seconds in before my arse is so tightly clenched I'm in danger of being turned inside out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLPmMHX6eEU
Extinction of the human race suddenly doesn't seem like such a bad prospect.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Rich H
Gray Pubic

Post by Rich H » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:19 pm

jimbob wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:53 pm
A colleague's girlfriend has all the symptoms - luckily they're both in their 20s.

But of course she's not been tested, so doesn't count towards the statistics.
Same for my daughter and her house mates. All four have got symptoms and have been told to stay put by 111. Of course they won't be counted.
This information is worth exactly what you paid for it

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:31 pm

There's definitely a cohort of people out there that aren't even following the most basic advice about avoiding contact and social distancing.

I popped into my local town today to get some supplies from Wilko (all well stocked, plenty of soap options etc...same with the local ASDA) and I saw numerous folk who were clearly 65+ just walking around with their friends, spending cash (and receiving change) and not observing any distancing. One elderly man I saw joined the queue at Wilko behind a group of three school kids and stood about 6-inches away from them. Weirdly close in normal circumstances.

I saw another couple, probably in their 70s, shopping for wallpaper. Essential.

:roll:

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:33 pm

JQH wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:04 pm
AAAAAGH!

Encountered a post on FB claiming placing cut unions around the house will absorb viruses from the air and stop you caching the disease. Her mum did it during the Hong Kong flu epidemic you see so it obviously works.

Reported it as Fake News as there is no Wilfully Endangering Public Health option.
I’m going to wait for Len McCluskey to either confirm or deny.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:42 pm

headshot wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:31 pm
There's definitely a cohort of people out there that aren't even following the most basic advice about avoiding contact and social distancing.

I popped into my local town today to get some supplies from Wilko (all well stocked, plenty of soap options etc...same with the local ASDA) and I saw numerous folk who were clearly 65+ just walking around with their friends, spending cash (and receiving change) and not observing any distancing. One elderly man I saw joined the queue at Wilko behind a group of three school kids and stood about 6-inches away from them. Weirdly close in normal circumstances.

A friend, who is self-isolating with her family due to elder son having a high temp a week ago, went for a run yesterday lunchtime, because that's allowed as long as she stays away from other people and she needed some exercise. She had to cut it very short because, having gone along a normally very quiet stretch of canal towpath specifically so as to stay away from other people, she encountered a group of several dozen people on a group walk - the vast majority of them clearly in the 70+ age group and none of them even attempting to keep their distance from each other. FFS.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:51 pm

Yep, mostly seems to be boomers ignoring the restrictions here too.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

OneOffDave
Clardic Fug

Post by OneOffDave » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:58 pm

Rich H wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:19 pm
jimbob wrote:
A colleague's girlfriend has all the symptoms - luckily they're both in their 20s.

Same for my daughter and her house mates. All four have got symptoms and have been told to stay put by 111. Of course they won't be counted.
Testing isn't the only way case data is gathered. For example we don't test everyone for flu but have really good surveillance methodology

see Weekly flu reports

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:07 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:51 pm
Yep, mostly ex-pat boomers here too. I think a few €1000 fines may sort that out in short order. The authorities aren't f.cking about here.
Time for a big fat one.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:08 pm

OneOffDave wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:58 pm
Rich H wrote:
jimbob wrote:

Testing isn't the only way case data is gathered. For example we don't test everyone for flu but have really good surveillance methodology

see Weekly flu reports
"Like"

For a science forum, there's a lot of people here who know less about all of this that this here theatre producer.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:09 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Oh well - them croaking early is one way to pass wealth down to the younger generation and free up housing stock - so it's not all bad. :twisted:
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Rich H
Gray Pubic

Post by Rich H » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:26 pm

headshot wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:08 pm
OneOffDave wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:58 pm
Rich H wrote:

see Weekly flu reports
"Like"

For a science forum, there's a lot of people here who know less about all of this that this here theatre producer.
So? Plenty of us don't know these things and, speaking for myself, I am happy to be educated when I am incorrect.
This information is worth exactly what you paid for it

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:26 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:09 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Oh well - them croaking early is one way to pass wealth down to the younger generation and free up housing stock - so it's not all bad. :twisted:
How much will it affect voting demographics? Worst case scenario in the UK is supposed to be somewhere around 500K fatalities, mainly boomers. Not enough to swing much here. Several million dead in the USA could have an impact on the November elections, given that would mainly be in the Trump supporting population. Not wishing it, just noting.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:42 pm
headshot wrote:

A friend, who is self-isolating with her family due to elder son having a high temp a week ago, went for a run yesterday lunchtime, because that's allowed as long as she stays away from other people and she needed some exercise. She had to cut it very short because, having gone along a normally very quiet stretch of canal towpath specifically so as to stay away from other people, she encountered a group of several dozen people on a group walk - the vast majority of them clearly in the 70+ age group and none of them even attempting to keep their distance from each other. FFS.
Same here, everybody I've passed today has given everyone else a wide berth except for the elderly couple out for a bimble in the park who were walking abreast blocking the entire path pointedly ignoring everyone trying to stay clear of them, by walking in single file and onto the clarts.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:49 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Yes apparently the garden centres are still full.

Also my landlord simply could not delay having blinds installed in our house today and his wife also could not avoid coming round to check the installers had put the right designs in the right place.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:07 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
That crossed my mind too. Since just about the only way anyone can get a house in this country is to inherit one, an epidemic which targets the elderly might flood the market with houses and solve the housing crisis in a year.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:09 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 pm
bagpuss wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:42 pm
headshot wrote:

Same here, everybody I've passed today has given everyone else a wide berth except for the elderly couple out for a bimble in the park who were walking abreast blocking the entire path pointedly ignoring everyone trying to stay clear of them, by walking in single file and onto the clarts.
discovolante wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:49 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:

Also my landlord simply could not delay having blinds installed in our house today and his wife also could not avoid coming round to check the installers had put the right designs in the right place.
If you want, there are photos of army trucks taking the dead bodies out of Bergamo last night because there were too many for the local cemeteries to cope with which you could show them.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:10 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:33 pm
JQH wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:04 pm
AAAAAGH!

Encountered a post on FB claiming placing cut unions around the house will absorb viruses from the air and stop you caching the disease. Her mum did it during the Hong Kong flu epidemic you see so it obviously works.

Reported it as Fake News as there is no Wilfully Endangering Public Health option.
I’m going to wait for Len McCluskey to either confirm or deny.
D'oh! Onions not unions!
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:12 pm

discovolante wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:

It's the new equivalent of shaking your fist at 'itler and 'is bombs.
Too much Daily Express turns people's heads.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:18 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:09 pm

If you want, there are photos of army trucks taking the dead bodies out of Bergamo last night because there were too many for the local cemeteries to cope with which you could show them.

I may just start coughing loudly in their general direction ... :twisted:
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:24 pm

bjn wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:26 pm
TopBadger wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
How much will it affect voting demographics? Worst case scenario in the UK is supposed to be somewhere around 500K fatalities, mainly boomers. Not enough to swing much here. Several million dead in the USA could have an impact on the November elections, given that would mainly be in the Trump supporting population. Not wishing it, just noting.
That half million could make a huge difference. A fair number of seats in the last GE that switched to the Tories do not have huge majorities so it wouldn't take many voters dying for them to switch back. Especially if the younger voters actually, you know, vote.

Younger generations are naturally pissed off with what they see as boomer selfishness. Some of us oldies are equally pissed off with Millenial and Gen X apathy.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:30 pm

JQH wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:24 pm
Younger generations are naturally pissed off with what they see as boomer selfishness. Some of us oldies are equally pissed off with Millenial and Gen X apathy.
You know, what this country needs is a good ...

... oh nevermind, as you were.

dccarm
Stargoon

Post by dccarm » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:44 pm

discovolante wrote:

I was in Dobbies yesterday lunchtime (buying veg seeds - playing the long game) and it was pretty quiet.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:44 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:12 pm
discovolante wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:

It's the new equivalent of shaking your fist at 'itler and 'is bombs.
Too much Daily Express turns people's heads.
I've never had a landlord care so much about my interior decor. I dont even like them though.

And now i am going to have to go to court next week! This is great isn't it.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.